Marsh & McLennan Cos NERA Software Engineer in White Plains, New York
NERA (http://www.nera.com/) is a global firm of experts dedicated to applying economic, finance, and quantitative principles to complex business and legal challenges. With its main office in New York City, NERA serves clients from over 25 offices across North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
For half a century, NERA's economists have been creating strategies, studies, reports, expert testimony, and policy recommendations for government authorities and the world's leading law firms and corporations. We bring academic rigor, objectivity, and real-world industry experience to bear on issues arising from competition, regulation, public policy, strategy, finance, and litigation.
NERA is looking for a software engineer with entry-level open source development experience building enterprise applications. The candidate will work closely with product owners, and other software engineers to design and implement technical solutions to meet business objectives and requirements. They will also be responsible for researching new technologies & techniques, rapid prototype, and help select and integrate new technologies into platform and systems. This opportunity is best suited to a motivated individual who can match a programming background with an understanding of business processes and data.
- Participate in application development activities to implement new and improve existing web applications that provide direct and measurable value to our users.
- Translate requirements through an iterative development process to high-quality code.
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code and implement secure coding best practices.
- Participate in providing input to product owners and stakeholders to balance the art of what is possible, while setting pragmatic and realistic expectations.
- Contribute to software engineering best practices, knowledge sharing, tools and technology evolution, and standards development.
- Work closely with end-users and business staff to resolve system issues rapidly and conclusively.
- Serve as an advisor in the technologies underlying both current and future enterprise systems.
- Help with overall systems/data architecture development and integration issues.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, systems analysis or a related field of study, or equivalent training/experience.
- Have real world working experience writing Unit, integration, and end-to-end automated testing.
- Comfortable with SPA libraries and frameworks like Angular, React, or Vue.
- Comfortable with Graphql (Apollo).
- Comfortable with both SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Software development experience in any other general-purpose programming language (Java, Python, C\#).
- Some experience building and maintaining code testing suites.
- Some experience designing extract, transform, and load (ETL) tools.
- Some experience with mobile Application development.
- Some experience designing systems and data flows between databases and applications.
**Skills and Attributes**
- Excellent communicator, comfortable sharing technical knowledge through design sessions, code reviews, presentation and documentation.
- Structured, analytical thinker capable of operating at multiple levels of precision and detail.
- Able to work well in both a team environment (including with outside resources) and in isolation.
- Effectively manage multiple tasks with strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Mature, organized, and creative self-starter with a professional attitude.
- Passionately pursue personal and professional development by studying state-of-the-art development tools and programming techniques; participate in and organize educational opportunities and utilizing firm provided resources such as PluralSight and Lynda accounts.
**How to Apply**
Create a personal profile and submit your resume and cover letter on the Career section of our website (http://www.nera.com/).