Biogen Assoc Director/Director, State Government Affairs, Public Policy & Government Reports to: Senior Director, State Government Affairs in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Assoc Director/Director develops and leads strategy for day-to-day performance and achievement of goals for the Eastern states. Influences and actively leads the development of state government legislation and regulations affecting BIIB’s business interests in order to provide a favorable business and reimbursement environment (e.g., Medicaid budgeting and reimbursement, other relevant health care issues, as well as issues affecting Biogen’s tax, facility and research interests).
/This position is field-based and can reside within the coverage area major state capital cities or in Washington, D.C/.
- Principal Responsibilities:*
· Develops both a proactive and reactive legislative agenda to create new policy frameworks to support our current product portfolio as well as pipeline products. Advances Biogen’s commercial success by preventing enactment of new state laws that could negatively impact our business.
· Serves as an “early warning system” to stakeholders inside the company on important state policy trends. Collaborates with the internal government affairs policy staff to identify emerging issues and determine how to advance Biogen’s legislative and policy interests in the states. Works collaboratively with others in the PPGA department to convert company policy positions into timely and effective advocacy strategies that shape policy outcomes and advance Biogen’s legislative and policy interests in the states.
· Provides analysis for state policy landscape to ensure that Biogen is aware and in front of emerging policy issues to enable the company to take advantage of opportunities and mitigate possible threats that could impact business decisions.
· Communicates approved company positions both internally and externally. Cultivates and maintains relationships with policy makers and their staff to maximize opportunities to advance policy initiatives that are favorable to Biogen; This includes educating state policy makers about Biogen’s business and patients in order to influence decisions impacting Biogen and patient access to our products.
· Serves as the point of contact between the company and key state agencies, quasi-governmental organizations, and other policy groups to advance state policies that support the company’s business objectives.
· Cultivates and maintains relationships with external partners, including regional trade associations and coalitions to advance Biogen's policy positions and to support gathering of early intelligence and information on emerging policy issues. Serves as the company’s lead representative for state issue and actively participates on the Trade Association workgroups, calls and meetings.
· A minimum 8-10 years of experience in lobbying with exceptional leadership skills with an In-depth background in the analysis of state government processes, laws, and regulations.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to convey ideas and information surrounding these elements to diverse audiences. She/he must understand both the formal and informal pieces of the policy development process and understand which levers the most effective means are to shape policy.
· Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills are essential, as an Associate Director/Director will engage with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders on a variety of complex topics and must be able to solicit information, persuade others, and shape outcomes.
· Ability to perform a cross-cutting role that interacts with numerous business areas such as market access and reimbursement, legal, tax, patient advocacy, commercial, and compliance. She/he must be able to work effectively with a wide range of internal stakeholders to effectively represent Biogen’s interests before state governments.
· Ability to provide internal stakeholders with timely, accurate and comprehensive information in order to take advantage of opportunities, mitigate threats, and promote business interests at the state level.
· She/he must provide concise, comprehensive written and verbal updates to the PPGA team and affected Biogen business units.
Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.