USACares Jobs

Job Information

Department of Defense Education Activity Professional Development Specialist (High School) in Urazoe, United States


About the Position: The Professional Development Specialist works directly for the Chief, Instructional Leadership Development who is responsible for ensuring a quality education by providing professional development and coaching for district and school leadership teams. You will be among a team of professional educators who serve as consultants, coaches, collaborators, presenters, and facilitators within and across districts within the region to support district staffs.


Plan and prioritize actions to build capacity for district/school stakeholders to promote High School standards driven instruction, innovative practices, and professional growth.

Coordinate High School instructional programs and services to ensure efficient implementation and avoid duplication/overlap of efforts.

Utilize research results and accountability data regarding leadership, instructional programs, school climate, and school improvement strategies to formulate recommendations.

Implement and sustain a collaborative coaching approach for district and school leaders to become more reflective practitioners and support their roles as instructional leaders.

Use a variety of data tools to determine root cause analysis and facilitate district and school improvement planning and execution.

Conduct root cause analysis and identify discrepancies between goals and current status.

Recommend and implement data-driven, research based school improvement plans and instructional leadership.


Conditions of Employment


Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens

Current DoDEA Competitive Service Employees

Current DoDEA Excepted Service Employees *In order to determine if you meet any of the eligibilities above, please review the required documents listed in the announcement questionnaire. In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Basic Requirements for Professional Development Specialist (High School): Education: Master's degree (or higher) in Education or Special Education. AND Professional Certification/License Requirement: Must be DoDEA certified/certifiable in any of the content areas listed below. Applicants who present a valid state (non-DoDEA) teaching license are required to present a minimum of 12 semester hours in the content area for which applying and 9 semester hours in professional teacher education. Elementary School Grades PK-5 Middle School Grades 6-8 High School Grades 9-12 Special Education AND General Experience: 5 years of relevant secondary school experience in an teaching, educational research, development of curriculum and instructional materials, education assessment and evaluation, professional development, special education, educational administration, or comparable experience which clearly demonstrated success in applying the principles, methods, and techniques of education, and provided familiarity with current developments in teaching, learning, instructional leadership, and professional development. Relevant experience must be in the area of high school education. AND Specialized Experience: 2 years of experience in a professional position which demonstrated the ability to administer and support PreK-12 grade curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional development, or special education programs and to effectively support educators in professional growth. Specialized experience must include a minimum of two years as an Elementary or Secondary School Administrator, Instructional Systems Specialists (ISS), Curriculum Coordinator or Instructional Coach.

You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:

Education Consultation, Coaching and CollaborationInstructional Delivery and Learner DevelopmentLearning and Program EvaluationOral CommunicationTraining and Education Analysis


Foreign Degrees and Course Work from Non-accredited Institutions. Credits or degrees earned from a foreign college or university must be evaluated prior to acceptance. Three evaluation procedures are acceptable: the work may be evaluated and interpreted by the International Education Research Foundation, Inc., Credential Evaluation Service, Post Office Box 3665, Culver City, CA 90231-3665 or or 310-258-9451. the foreign institution that awarded the degree is on a list endorsed by a regionally accredited university or on a list endorsed by a state department of education for the purpose of teacher certification in that state (this procedure will require an English translation of the transcript and a copy of the document awarding the degree, together with an authenticated list produced by an American university or a state department of education); and the work may be evaluated by the graduate division of a regionally accredited university and declared the equivalent of similar undergraduate or graduate work in a U.S. institution. Graduates of non-accredited institutions may have their undergraduate work validated by admittance to graduate school and completion of a minimum of 5 semester hours of credit in a regionally accredited graduate college.

Additional Information

Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. Federal employees in Okinawa, Japan are currently entitled to receive a 30% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program requirements as outlined in the DoD Instruction 1315.19. Applicants must be U.S. citizens who are not considered Ordinarily Resident under the applicable Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). An ordinarily resident is anyone who has lived in the host country longer than the allowed number of days without being a member of the forces assigned, civilian component or a family member of either the aforementioned or who has obtained a work permit for any duration. Ordinarily Resident restrictions apply and vary depending on the host nation. Pay retention may be offered to successful applicants for positions at overseas locations. For this provision to apply to employees already overseas, the selected individual would have to require a permanent change of station move and would have to be selected as a result of a recruitment effort that had been extended outside of the overseas command involved. Applicants who have family members with special medical needs should ensure that prior to accepting a position overseas their family members' medical needs can be met. Access to care in a military treatment facility may not be available to civilian employees except on a space available basis. Consequently, host nation medical facilities may be the only care available. The availability and level of care at host nation medical facilities will vary by location. Status candidates subject to the 5 year overseas rotation, who are currently overseas, must have enough time to meet the initial tour stated in the job announcement. Waivers may not be granted to meet the 5 year limitation requirement. Status applicants in their fourth year of an overseas assignment cannot be selected unless a waiver of the 5 year overseas service limitation requirement is approved. Selectees initially recruited from the United States may receive certain foreign area benefits such as: Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) or government quarters, home leave, etc. (Subject to approval). Overseas allowances may be authorized in accordance with Department of State Standardized Regulation (DSSR) and DoDI 1400.25 volume 1250. Selectees recruited outside the U.S. will have their eligibility for foreign area benefits determined at the time of hire. For positions in a foreign country, that country's laws or international agreements may have a direct impact on the ability of an employee's same sex domestic partner or spouse to accompany the employee and receive certain benefits. If you believe you may be affected by these laws and agreements, you should familiarize yourself with relevant information before applying for or accepting this position. The initial length of this overseas tour is 36 months. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. You can find more information about this vacancy in the How You Will Be Evaluated section.