Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Director, Medical Affairs, Ophthalmology in Tarrytown, New York
The Director, Medical Affairs, Ophthalmology supports the development of medical strategy, planning & execution of assigned medical affairs activities related to the EYLEA franchise at Regeneron. This hire will provide scientific and/or medical leadership and support by thoroughly understanding ophthalmology and serving as a key scientific/ medical resource.
The Director will work in a multifunctional, matrix organization, working closely with colleagues within the medical affairs group (including field medical, medical operations, medical education, medical information, HEOR, publication management and medical statistics), as well as those research & development, commercial, access & reimbursement, and patient advocacy. He/she will also collaborate with external collaborators such as health care practitioners, research groups, payers and alliance partners.
A day in the life would include the following responsibilities:
• Maintains deep scientific and medical knowledge of relevant therapeutic/disease areas as well as an understanding of patient and physician interactions and clinical decision making and impact
• Leads conceptualization, development, execution, presentation and publication of secondary analyses in collaboration with Healthcare Professionals (HCPs), Statistics, other Medical Directors, and clinical development & commercial teams.
• Supports strategic development and tactical execution of medical deliverables aligned with overarching business strategy. Lends professional medical expertise to Commercial, Sales, Marketing and Legal functions on marketed products and drugs currently in approval process.
• Participates in the advisory function of Medical Affairs and related commercialization strategies.
• Provides strategic direction and scientific and medical support for publications and presentations as needed, working closely with the Publication Manager
• Establishes/maintains appropriate professional relationships with key medical experts, researchers and academic institutions within pertinent medical/scientific community
• Participates in the Regeneron Copy Review Committee (RCRC) with review of externally facing materials
• Provides Medical Affairs support at medical meetings and conferences
• Supports the medical affairs department in fulfilling additional core functions as needed.
This role may be for you if you have:
• Advanced degree (MD, OD, PhD, PharmD preferred)
• 5+ years’ experience in ophthalmology required
• Knowledge of regulatory and commercial requirements preferred.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills including presentation skills, effective organizational skills, problem solving, conflict resolution, leadership, and team building skills.
• Experience and success in working in a matrix, cross-functional environment; excellent collaboration skills; experience working across functions to achieve results
• Must be able to demonstrate excellent medical communication skills
• Must be able to clearly demonstrate a thorough understanding of the healthcare environment including all external stakeholders
• Must be able to demonstrate understanding of medical affairs accountabilities for evidence generation, external engagement and internal advice; direct experience preferred
• Must demonstrate disease area expertise and appropriate medical and/or clinical experience
• Ability to travel occasionally (approx. 30%)
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
• Outstanding work ethic and integrity, including high ethical and scientific standards
• Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment. Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives.
• Comes up with new and unique ideas that move the science forward and add value. Deals with scientific concepts and complexity comfortably
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment. Has broad knowledge and perspective and is future oriented.
• Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment. Makes these decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure
• Strong interpersonal skills particularly motivational, negotiation, listening, judgment, analytic, and conflict management skills, demonstrated by ability to lead teams.
• Ability to work independently and engage in collaborative decision making, to complete tasks in a timely fashion, and function in a fast-paced and rapidly expanding environment. Must be a practical thinker, able to identify simple, realizable solutions
• Demonstrated matrix leadership qualities; clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures. Monitors process, progress, and results.