Washington State On-Call Grain Sampler/Weigher-Tacoma in Tacoma, Washington
AGRICULTURE - A Cornerstone of Washington's Economy
*Important Note: *This posting is being used to fill multiple vacancies.
The Washington State Department of Agriculture has been serving the state for more than 100 years. Through service, regulation and advocacy, we keep agriculture viable and vital in Washington State, while protecting consumers, public health, and the environment. We work extensively with farmers and ranchers, but our responsibilities – from ensuring food safety to environmental protection – touch the lives of millions of people locally, nationally, and abroad.
The agency includes 780 employees approximately and grows close to 1,000 employees at the peak of seasonal work. To learn more and view additional openings, please visit our Employment Page.
*ABOUT THE POSITION: *The Commodity Inspection Division, Grain Inspection Program, is searching for motivated and intelligent Grain Samplers/Weighers to join their team in the Tacoma, Washington office.
Here is your chance to work in a program that is known for using the most advanced technology in a creative, fast-paced, fun and challenging environment. Come join an organization that values dedication, professionalism, and hard work! While these are nonpermanent positions, you will be able to gain valuable experience and make money at the same time.
For more information about the Washington State Department of Agriculture, visit us at www.agr.wa.gov Duties
- Weighs and/or samples grain and other agricultural commodities at mills, shipping points, grain elevators and other locations.
- Obtains samples of grain and commodities from railcars, truck containers and other conveyances for inspection and phytosanitary certification.
- Examines grain and other commodities, records gross and tare weights and maintains records and documentation of scale conditions and weighing activities.
- Samples, check weighs, and check loads of shipping containers for compliance with government contracts.
- Conducts protein and mycotoxin testing on grains and commodities. Qualifications
- Possess a high school, GED or equivalent education from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret and comprehend federal directives, notices, rules and regulations as well as state policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing using equipment like telephones, two-way radios and computers.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to use good judgment, tact, and withstand stressful situations with an emphasis on excellent customer service.
- Ability to detect odors and other conditions that render grain unfit for human consumption.
- Ability to visually examine grain for grading analysis.
- Must have valid driver's license to travel on agency business.
Occasional overtime and/or travel may be required. Desired:
Bachelor's degree with major study in agronomy or closely allied field.
- Knowledge of state government organization and administrative procedures, federal and local government functions and office procedures. Supplemental Information
How to Apply: You must complete your careers.wa.gov profile and answer the supplemental questions. In addition to completing the online application, and supplemental questions applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest to describe why you are the best candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position.
- Current resume detailing experience and education By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
Applications with comments "see attachments" will be considered incomplete.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855)524- 5627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact the Human Resource Office at (360) 902- 2020 or Recruitment@agr.wa.gov.
Prior to a new appointment into the Department of Agriculture, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. Applications received via e-mail will not be accepted in lieu of applying through the state's on-line recruitment system.
The Human Resources Division may use referrals from this recruitment to help fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
*Veteran's Preference: *Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
*Military Spouse Preference: *To take advantage of military spouse preference, you will have an opportunity to identify your status in the questionnaire. We thank you and are grateful for your service!
The Department of Agriculture celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
Salary: $16.46 - $21.27 Hourly
Location: Pierce County – Tacoma, WA
Job Type: On-Call
Department: Dept. of Agriculture
Job Number: 2021-00670
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact