Westchester Medical Center REGISTERED NURSE PD in SUFFERN, New York
*JOB SUMMARY: *The PACU Nurse (RN) provides professional nursing care and support for patients undergoing surgical and non-surgical procedures that receive anesthesia. The RN provides direct nursing care by assessing patients' needs, performing physical examinations, and taking health history and demographic information. In addition, the Registered Nurse plans, develops, implements, administers, evaluates and updates specialized plans of treatment and preventive care regimens in accordance with medical orders and nursing standards, and also annotates medical records in accordance with established procedures, implements infection control protocols, and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Provides direct nursing care to patients by assessing their physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual status.
- Develops a plan of care consistent with the patient's condition and annotates medical records in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements and provides information to clinical and support staff to facilitate continued proper nursing care. Includes the patients and family in the process of care planning.
- Performs comprehensive patient assessments, noting any improvement or deterioration in the patient's condition and implements and evaluates nursing care accordingly.
- Assesses patients and administers treatments, medications, and general care according to nursing plan of care, best practices, established protocols and medical orders to treat actual or potential disorders and to optimize the physical and mental well-being of the patients.
- Operates and maintains specialized medical equipment.
- Evaluates and documents patients' responses to care regimen and adds to; changes or resolves interventions on the nursing plan of care and/ or collaborates with physician regarding the need to revise the treatment plan.
- Collaborates with appropriate members of the health team (i.e.: Anesthesia, Surgeons) to coordinate care for patients.
- Coordinates care with other departments (i.e.: dietary, social services rehab services, etc.), serving as a liaison to ensure services are provided in a timely manner.
- Confers with patient and family, when indicated, in the overall planning of nursing care and provides up-to-date knowledge to educate patient and family about medication and medical treatment.
- Participates in discharge planning in collaboration with other health care providers and community resources to ensure full utilization of support services which address patient needs.
- Participates in Quality Assurance activities to ensure provision of optimum care and follow-up for patients.
- Ensures continuity of nursing care by providing comprehensive end of shift reports to oncoming staff.
- Advocates the patient bill of rights and advocates on behalf of patients and families to ensure continuity and understanding of care given.
- Participates in continuing education programs and in-service education in order to provide the most appropriate nursing care.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the care of patients receiving moderate sedation, regional and general anesthesia
- Assessment and reassessment of pain upon admission and through stay.
- Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate medication use and follows all policies concerning medication administration.
- Use of assessment and reassessment of patient's response to medications.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency in hemodynamic monitoring.
- Utilize the nursing process along with AORN/ ASPAN standards to ensure all of the patient safety goals are incorporated into the care of the patient.
- Assists physician during procedures, carries out physician orders.
- Demonstrate appropriate assessment skills including prioritizing and delegation of patient care activities.
- Communicate with other members of the health care team regarding the patient's condition during the post procedure period.
- Demonstrates knowledge of aseptic technique.
- IV Therapy
- Recognize and report signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect.
- Demonstrates clear knowledge necessary to provide patient care by ensuring all equipment and supplies are available for procedure.
- Demonstrates correct application for cleaning /disinfection of equipment.
- Specimen Handling
- Identifies emergency situations and institutes corrective actions in a calm and efficient manner.
- Completes documentation in an accurate, timely and legible manner.
- Completes all appropriate charges in a timely manner.
- Provides support and comfort to preoperative patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of available resources to meet patient/family needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of alarm systems.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Experience: Previous PACU nursing preferred, Critical Care experience preferred
Education: BSN Preferred.
Completion of BSN is expected within 5 years of hire
Licenses / Certifications: Must possess a valid license and current registration, issued by the New York State Education Department, as a Registered Nurse.
Current BLS, ACLS and PALS required.
CPAN and /or CCRN certification preferred.
Other: If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.