State of Massachusetts Budget Examiner III in Stow, Massachusetts
The Budget Examiner III / Budget Analyst will review and analyze encumbrances, expenditures and budget proposals; make recommendations for their approval, modification, or rejection; and serve as a liaison to coordinate fiscal practices between the Fiscal Affairs Purchasing and Accounting Units.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and are not all inclusive)
• Review and analyze budget requests, confer with agency personnel to obtain data for use in reviewing budget requests and related documents.
• Analyze past and present expenditures, program needs, etc. in order to determine Agency’s future fiscal requirements.
• Gather and assemble financial and related data and prepare reports, charts, graphs and tables along with narrative summaries as required in order to present such information for tracking, review and analysis.
• Review and/or analyze financial reports and other documents to determine projected revenues and expenditures and to identify program trends in order to prepare and/or revise state agency spending plans, budget requests and requests for allotments and/or transfers between expenditure classification categories.
• Maintain Agency five year Capital Spending Plan by coordinating information, monitoring projects, and analyzing previous funding levels and projected programmatic requirements.
• Process budget control transactions to maintain Agency Chart of Accounts, allot funds, transfer funds, and to establish and modify division expense and revenue budgets.
• On a monthly basis, or more frequently during peak periods, reconcile transactions to the MMARS Expenses Budgets and coordinate corrective action between divisions, purchasing and accounting staff.
• Perform related duties such as responding to inquiries regarding budget requests and reasons for budget recommendations; preparing and distributing various budgetary and related reports; attending meetings to present or exchange information; coordinating activities between fiscal units to solve problems; and maintaining records of account transactions.
• Review purchase requests to ensure compliance with Agency budget and to identify applicability of funds for requested activities.
• Process payment and payroll transactions for supervisor’s review.
• Assists with process for payroll and accounts receivable reconciliation.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in accounting, auditing or budgeting or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. A Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, economics, finance, business administration or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience.*
II. A Graduate degree with a major in accounting, economics, finance, business administration or public administration may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's License may be required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Accounting and Finance
Organization: *Department of Fire Services
Title: Budget Examiner III
Location: Massachusetts-Stow-State Road
Requisition ID: 200000ON