Cisco Senior Engineer, Software Development in San Jose, California
What You'll Do
Cisco provides you an excellent opportunity to take your career aspirations forward. You will bring your unique talents to the Cisco CSG group that builds intelligent networking products and platforms for many different applications. Core Software Group (CSG) has the charter for all Platform Independent and Platform Dependent software development across Switching (for data center, campus core and campus access), wireless, network services, routing, optical software and Enterprise routing and cable access. This includes all the Operating Systems and network services for IOS/XE in Enterprise, IOS-XR in Service Provider and NX-OS in Data Center market segments.
We are seeking a highly motivated engineer to develop wireless products on the industry-leading software platforms that capitalize on the trend toward all devices, machines, and vehicles becoming connected and integrated with traditional enterprise networks.
In your role as Senior Software Engineer, you will develop and integrate wireless products that are deployed by different vertical markets such as discrete and process manufacturing, smart cities, Healthcare, Airports etc. You will work with cross BUs vibrant technical community, learning from experts and translating this learning into exciting opportunities for growth. The job includes but is not limited to specification, execution, and unit automation test. The job involves a great collaboration with cross functional teams such as test, marketing, compliance, HW, manufacturing, documentation, and project management. We have a strong focus on software engineering methodologies and processes.
Build high performance, highly scalable, multi-cloud environment, complex and distributed systems - end to end
Besides this, you will also mentor your junior colleagues in their day-to-day activities.
Who You'll Work With
Be part of building next generation scalable wireless LAN controller. Requires use of a strong background in SW design, documentation and implementation, on projects that may include any of below list of responsibilities: Design applications involving multi-platforms. Design and develop new software product features. Define product internal/external interfaces. Develop complex, multiple modules of code. Write complete functional and design specs with minimal help. Write portions of product spec. Lead development of subsystems. Develop automated UT test plans. Solves complex problems at the system level. Participate in Cisco's Patent Program.
As an integral member of this team, you will work with a team of seasoned engineers. You will have the opportunity to architect, design, and develop some of the key features which continuously evolving towards enabling the support of newer and exciting customer business paradigms.
You will be interacting and working closely with some of the finest talent pool in the industry - where you will find that work is both fun and challenging.
Who You Are
Excellent quality is what drives you. To ensure this, you have a good understanding of real time OS architectures, embedded software, and basic knowledge of L2, L3, protocols. You possess the necessary skills to work in a highly collaborative, inclusive, and agile atmosphere in partnership with cross-functional teams.
Education and Experience
• MSEE/CS with 5-7 years of experience, or BSEE/CS combined with 7-8+ yrs related experience, or equivalent
• Strong C programming experience
• Strong passion and experience in troubleshooting, debugging complex systems and possess excellent problem-solving techniques
• Experience with real-time O/S (VxWorks, pSOS or IOS, Linux, etc.)
• Working knowledge of modern virtualization technologies (VMWare/EXSi, KVM, HyperV).
• Exposure with cloud platforms such as AWS, GCP, etc.
• Hands-on experience with Unix/Linux development tools, with knowledge of Linux virtualization.
• Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, good team player
• You are able to handle multiple tasks at once and work independently with minimal managerial mentorship.
• Solid understanding of Wireless Networking Technologies
• Experience of wireless, networking and industrial protocols is a plus
• Manageability (telemetry, gRPC, SNMP, Netconf/Yang, etc.)
• Knowledge of Wireless protocols: 802.1X, WPAII
• Knowledge of N/W protocols: Layer 2/Layer 3 switching/routing protocol, e.g. 802.3, 802.1[q,p,d], IP, TCP, UDP
• AccessPoint - Deep understanding of 802.11 protocol & its components
• Linux - Linux Device drivers or expertize in IOS, IOS XE or IOS XR
• Strong communication and leadership skills are essential
• Cisco Networking certificates, such as CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc. are desirable.
• Work with teams to come up with design spec and other documentations
• You're passionate about quality practices - automated unit testing, code reviews, code coverage, and early detection methods
• Mentoring the team
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re "old" (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do - you can’t put us in a box!
But "Digital Transformation" is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.