Qualcomm IT Project Manager, Sr. in San Diego, California
Job Area:Information Technology Group, Information Technology Group > IT Project Management
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age - and this is where you come in.
General Summary Provides budget analysis, resource allocation and coordination of project activities that may be across functional areas within a cybersecurity organization. Assigns and monitors work of technical personnel, ensuring that project steps are in alignment with business objectives, on-time and within budget. Monitors reliability and any internal issues that appear as a result of the project. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. The responsibilities of this role include:
• Working under close supervision.
• Taking responsibility for own work and making decisions with limited impact; impact of decisions is readily apparent; errors made typically only impact timeline (i.e., require additional time to correct).
• Using verbal and written communication skills to convey basic, routine factual information about day-to-day activities to others who are fully knowledgeable in the subject area.
• Completing tasks that require multiple steps that must be performed in a specific order, using directions or manuals that accurately document the steps necessary to perform the tasks.
• Using deductive problem solving required to solve moderately complex problems; most problems have defined processes of diagnosis/detection; some limited data analysis may be required.
• Exercising some creativity may be required to troubleshoot technical problems or deal with novel circumstances.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
• Gathers stakeholder needs and goals with guidance, and executes communication plan for project team and stakeholders.
• Forms project team, and manages and prioritizes the work of the project team by establishing schedules and task assignments, and tracking tasks of team members.
• Creates project goals and prioritizes deliverables with guidance from project stakeholders.
• Manages multiple projects of small to medium size or complexity and applies up-to-date project management knowledge to meet deadlines.
• Builds and executes project plans for small- to medium-sized projects which include schedule and resource forecasting, stakeholder identification, method and frequency of communication, scope, and prioritization.
• Identifies project issues and risks, and creates a risk mitigation plan for small- to medium-sized projects.
• Manages project performance (e.g., on time, on budget, within scope, and with quality) for projects of small to medium size or complexity.
• Promotes project vision and objectives within project team, and ensures project objectives are met.
• Supports the compliance of project plans by following best practices and procedures.
• Promotes collaboration with diverse project stakeholders.
IT Core Competencies
• Accountability - Hold one’s self and others accountable for measurable quality, timely and cost-effective results, and accepts responsibility for impacts to the business and changes to business processes.
• Adaptability - Adjusting own behaviors to work efficiently and effectively in light of new information, changing situations and/or different environments.
• Collaboration - Fosters working together by establishing, communicating, and reinforcing shared values, norms, and objectives.
• Communication - The ability to effectively exchange information with stakeholders in addition to the ability to accurately hear and understand the partially expressed thoughts, feelings, and concerns of others.
• Financial Acumen - Ability to understand in-depth financial information that can be used to make meaningful insights to drive business growth in a safe and transparent environment.
• Influence - The ability to accomplish goals through others.
• People Development - Models and creates an environment that promotes career development.
• Strategic Focus - Applies a comprehensive approach using business acumen and industry research to solve systematic complexities that promote growth.
Required Competencies 0
Additional Competencies (All competencies below are required upon entry)
• Analytical Skills - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources.
• Creating the New and Different - The ability to approach problems with curiosity and open-mindedness. This includes developing personal creativity, approaching the problem differently, and asking for others' opinions. This also includes exposing one's self to new ideas, trends, and environments.
• Dealing with Conflict - The ability to quickly and directly address problems, find common ground, and persevere on tough assignments. This includes having the willingness to be centrally involved in debates and facilitating conflict discussion and resolution.
• Decision Making - The ability to make quick, accurate decisions. This includes the ability to weigh alternatives and take into account the impact of the decisions on people, equipment, or other resources.
• Demonstrating Personal Flexibility - The ability to demonstrate resourcefulness and resilience in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity. This includes adapting to competing demands and shifting priorities. This also includes improving adaptability, pursuing new skills and knowledge, and regularly seeking feedback from others.
• Focusing on the Customer - The ability to effectively identify and address key customer needs. This includes leading others to maintain focus on customers and seeking information to uncover a true client need.
• Getting Organized - The ability to be organized, resourceful, and planful. This includes the ability to leverage multiple resources to get things done and lay out tasks in sufficient detail. This also includes the ability to get things done with fewer resources and in less time, work on multiple tasks at once without losing track, and foresee and plan around obstacles.
• Managing Resources - The ability to spend his/her time and the time of others on the most mission-critical work activities. This includes communicating priorities to others, removing roadblocks that threaten to derail progress, and making timely and difficult decisions about serious tradeoffs with incomplete information.
• Project Management - Knowledge of project lifecycles. This includes an understanding of methodology attributes such as entrance and exit criteria for assigned project stages, team roles and responsibilities, and tools and techniques. This also includes the ability to plan activities within a project stage and report on progress.
• Taking Initiative - The ability to attack work activities with drive and energy, understand the impact of work on key metrics, and make decisions that are in the company's best interest. This includes not being afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known, and driving value-added work tasks to completion.
• Time Management - The ability to quickly prioritize mission-critical from less important or trivial work activities. This includes sensing what the next most useful thing is to work on, and focusing on the critical few tasks that add value while putting aside or delaying the rest.
• Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years Project Management-relevant work experience OR 6+ years Project Management-relevant work experience without a bachelor’s degree.
• Bachelor's degree in the areas of IT, Information Systems, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
• 7+ years Project Management-relevant work experience in IT.
• PMO, PMP, or Six Sigma Project Management Certification.
• 3+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with senior leadership (e.g., Director level and above).
• 3+ years managing operating budgets and/or project financials.
3+ years project management of information security projects
• Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to 1 mile.
• Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
• Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
• Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
• Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here (https://qualcomm.service-now.com/hrpublic?id=hr_public_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0039028) for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Our Work Experience is the combination of everything that's unique about us: our culture, our core values, our company meetings, our commitment to sustainability, our recognition programs, but most importantly, it's our people. Our employees are self-disciplined, hard working, curious, trustworthy, humble, and truthful. They make choices according to what is best for the team, they live for opportunities to collaborate and make a difference, and they make us the #1 Top Workplace in the area.
Employment Notices for US-based Job Postings
Equal Employment Opportunity (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
"EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency NonDiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
Family Medical Leave Act (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlaen.pdf)
Rights of Pregnant Employees
Discrimination and Harassment (https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/10/Workplace-Discrimination-Poster_ENG.pdf)
California Family Rights Act
Prepare and succeed
Qualcomm Interview FAQs (https://www.qualcomm.com/company/careers/faqs)
Employment Fraud Alert
We have received reports of employment scams that seek financial or personal information from job candidates. Please note these communications are fraudulent. Click here (https://www.qualcomm.com/employment-fraud-alert) to view our Employment Fraud Alert.