University of Utah Director, Research Park Programming in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/19/2021
Requisition Number PRN25362B
Job Title Director, Operations & Logistics
Working Title Director, Research Park Programming
Job Grade H
FLSA Code Executive
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00642 - PIVOT Center
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $90,000-$120,000
Open Until Filled Yes
The University of Utah Research Park ( UURP ) has evolved over 50+ years into a critical component of the state’s vibrant life science industry, with fifty percent of Utah jobs in those industries tracing their beginnings to the University and its Research Park. At over four million square feet of space, UURP is currently home to 48 companies and 81 University departments with a combined workforce totaling approximately 14,000 employees.
To anticipate and prepare for the next 50 years, UURP has undertaken an updated Research Park strategic visioning effort. The updated vision for the Park includes new offices and laboratories, with new housing, a hotel, retail spaces and community gathering spots — all served by expanded transit and parking options designed to reduce automobile traffic. It also focuses on incorporating social corridors and hubs to foster productive contacts between private industry and academia.
The University of Utah’s Partners for Innovation, Ventures, Outreach & Technology Center ( PIVOT ) seeks a Director – Research Park Programming. With a duel report to PIVOT’s Deputy Director and the U’s Executive Director for Real Estate Administration, the Director will be a forward-thinking catalyst for further development of Utah’s knowledge-based economy. The successful candidate will be able to work independently with senior executives from a range of stakeholder groups and may eventually hire, train, and manage additional staff.
- Working closely with UURP tenants to support economic success and quality of life throughout the region, as well as serving as an outreach leader on behalf of the Real Estate Administration, PIVOT , and the U.
- Directing the design, implementation, and management of pilot and new programs, activities, and initiatives intended to meet the innovation, entrepreneurship, and community engagement goals of the Park and Park tenants.
- Creating and managing efforts to canvas Research Park tenants and communities surrounding the Park on methods to activate communal and outdoor spaces to increase interactions among UURP tenants, and the neighboring community.
- Designing and leading promotional campaigns to assure awareness of UURP weekly events, training opportunities, and other innovation activities throughout University, Research Park, and regional communities.
- Working with senior level administrators, faculty, and staff across the entire University to develop deep connections between UURP tenants and the University.
- Engaging with tenants throughout Research park to design, create, and manage programs that place student interns and full-time workforce in UURP .
- Supporting efforts by PIVOT , the Real Estate Administration, and UURP tenants to engage with entrepreneurs, industry, investors, and other key stakeholders.
- Helping recruit prospective UURP tenants.
- Continuing to develop, lead, and manage the UURP transportation management association ( TMA ), Research Park Connect, which includes but is not limited to managing all social media touch points (Instagram, website and e-newsletter), as well as supporting the Research Park Transportation Working Group meetings and other Research Park Connect community events. Current and past programs include the Heart of the Park pop-up community hub, carpool and vanpool programs and the Lunch Line circulator shuttle.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related area, or equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communications skills required.
Master’s degree in Business Administration, or related area preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.