Sheppard Pratt Health System School Social Worker/Counselor (The Frost Therapeutic Community Program) in Rockville, Maryland
The Therapeutic Community Program, part of The Sheppard Pratt School - Rockville, is a year round, non-public special education program that serves elementary, middle, and high school students with emotional and behavioral disorders and Autism spectrum disorders. The program utilizes a therapeutic community/group model where special education and counseling are integrated within the milieu. Students are taught communication, personal accountability, problem solving, social skills, and relationship building skills through the daily group counseling sessions and community meetings. Students also participate in family counseling once a week.
As a School Social Worker/Counselor you will:
- Perform a full range of clinical social work/counseling services for elementary/middle/high school students with serious emotional/behavioral issues and some autism spectrum disorders.
- Function as a key member of a treatment team and assist in developing treatment plans and monitor and evaluate students' progress.
- Interview students and families to perform admission intake functions or provide preadmission screening as needed.
- Communicate with school systems; assist families in providing referrals for community resources/agencies and coordination with local social service agencies.
- Conduct individual, family, and group therapy sessions for students and their families in order to assist in resolving personal and environmental problems that prevent them from achieving their highest level of psychosocial functioning. Lead daily group therapy and family/parent group therapy sessions as needed; will work evening per week (6pm-8pm or 6:30pm-8:30pm) providing multi-family group therapy. Group is co-lead with another clinician.
- Develop and assist in the implementation of discharge and aftercare plans.
- Master's degree in social work, counseling, or related field and at least 2+ years of relevant work experience. Previous experience in a non-public setting a plus.
- Current Maryland State licensure as a LCSW-C or LCPC by time of hire and throughout tenure in position.
- Social Workers working in schools are required to have active MSDE certification as a School Social Worker at time of appointment or must apply for MSDE SW certification within 60 days of accepting a School Social Worker assignment, and must maintain this certification while working in any school assignment.