Astellas Pharma Executive Director, Primary Focus Modality Lead (Immuno-Oncology) in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Executive Director Primary Focus Modality Lead IO opportunity.
Purpose & Scope of Position:
Primary Focus (PF) Modality Lead is responsible to provide guidance to a modality platform strategy, coordinate cross-functional implementation in alignment with the PF Strategy and Roadmap.
Primary Focus is developing modality platforms, including aAVC, Oncolytic Virus, bispecific antibodies and cell therapy. Each modality platform generates multiple pipeline projects, individually managed by Development and Research cross-functional teams. However, there is need to lead and coordinate the technology platform strategy and execution, including process development, manufacturing, cross-PF application of the platform, optimization of resource allocation across the individual projects. PF capacity is not sufficient to manage the work, given the growing complexity of the pipeline and platforms. The proposed position will take on the role to lead strategy and cross-functional execution of selected modality platforms.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Define direction and strategy for the assigned modality platform in alignment with PF Strategy, including pre-IND development, animal to human translation, early clinical development, CMC, manufacturing and early commercialization
Collaborate with relevant Research and Development Core Teams and functional representatives to establish modality platform strategy and execution
Coordinate and monitor cross functional activities related to execution of the strategy
Proactively identify hurdles and issues. Lead problem solving across relevant functions
Lead the establishment of demand forecast, and estimated future value of the platform
Contributes to PF Strategy and Roadmap development
Be a change agent - Support mindset and culture change in alignment with CSP2021 and PF goals
Contributes to PF related work as the member of the PF Team, and member of the key Core teams
- Responsible for the cross-functional strategy and execution of 1-2 modality platforms in PFIO. These platforms were acquired for more than $1Billion USD, and will enable significant proportion of the Astellas pipeline, hence they are critical value drivers for Astellas.
- Ongoing investment represents 30-50% of the early stage R&D and manufacturing investment
- High complexity job dealing with evolving, novel technology, diverse, multi-functional internal environment and with external partners. Job success can be measure not just by specific project deliverables, but also by feedback from other Divisions on efficiency of execution, which requires understanding of science, project ma
- Overcome strategic hurdles for evolving Primary Focus.
- Improve and maximize value of Primary Focus.
The Primary Focus Modality Lead reports to the Primary Focus Lead IO, who reports to the CSTO. He/She may have direct reports in the future, as the modalities continue to evolve.
Key relationships include Global Functional Leads of research and development projects (i.e. GDPL, GML, etc.), leaders of relevant oncology functions (i.e. Head of Translational Science, Head of Drug Discovery Immuno-Oncology, Manufacturing), Primary Focus Leads, internally, as well as external partner companies.
· Master's Degree and Minimum of ten (10) years' experience in pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, or biotechnology. Science, or manufacturing background is preferable with a specialty in the assigned Primary Focus, or equivalent experience with global research, or project management is required.
· Capability to develop strategy and to be a good strategic thinker
· Strong communication skills
· Proven ability to lead by influence and navigate the cross-functional matrix organization
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled Category Primary Focus Lead (I-O)