International Rescue Committee Health Researcher in New York, New York
Requisition ID: req17259
Job Title: Health Researcher
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Not Applicable
Location: New York, NY HQ USA
This role can be based in New York, Washington DC, Amman, Cucuta, Madellin or Nairobi.
The IRC is seeking a researcher to support the design, development, and management of research, learning and evidence generating activities for a five-year multi-country and multi-stakeholder pandemic/COVID mortality and morbidity research grant. The role will contribute about 75% of their time to this grant and is contingent on funding being awarded.
In addition to supporting this particular study, this position will help shape and lead IRC’s Health Research and Learning Agenda, which includes business development, partnership match-making, and continual prioritization and support of research studies across the thematic areas of: non-communicable diseases; menstrual hygiene management/female friendly sanitation; systems strengthening; and immunizations. This position requires strong epidemiological research and program management skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, knowledge and implementation of ethical and equitable research approaches; and prior experience working with qualitative & quantitative data. This portion of the position will comprise approximately 25% level of effort. This also offers the researcher to grow the health research portfolio and health research team, pending successful fundraising!
• Support research related business development activities, including conducting literature reviews, brainstorming research design ideas, developing proposals and engaging with country programs
• Secure ethics approval for studies and ensure that they comply with ethical requirements and IRC research standards for quality and equity
• Work closely with relevant partners to lay the groundwork for research implementation
• Provide direct support in rolling out and running research activities related to Health priority areas, including developing the work plan and managing the budget
• Assist in developing research instruments, conducting data collection training, and monitoring progress of research activities
• Serve as advisor or co-investigator on research projects
• Play a lead role in monitoring the quality of data collected and conducting data analysis
• Coordinate within Health and across technical units and country programs to collect vital information for donor reporting. Responsible for ensuring completion and timely submission of donor reports
• Responsible for coordination with academic partners, when applicable
• Support research dissemination activities, including developing presentations, briefs and blog posts on research design and findings
• Represent the IRC’s Health research priorities at internal and external events, as needed
Education: PhD or Master’s degree in epidemiology, public health, or related field
PhD with 2-3 years or Master’s with 4-6 years of work experience in research on topics related to health in the humanitarian or development sector. Experience with complex datasets and managing research projects.
Preferred experience & skills:
• High degree of proven project management skills required, and experience facilitating groups of stakeholders to deliver high quality outputs according to schedule
• Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills. Knowledge of data analysis software coding such as R, SAS, or Dedoose preferred
• Experience conducting research in humanitarian and/or development settings
• At least three-years of field research experience in humanitarian or low-resource setting, with demonstrated experience leading their own research
• Experience training and supervising field teams, project management, and history of publication of results
• Outstanding communication and coordination capabilities and capability to operate independently and as a team member.
•Excellent writing skills required.
• Experience in or knowledge of pandemics and infectious disease preferred
• Experience leading donor funded programs and grants, including budget management, work plans, and reporting, and providing technical input to proposal-budget development efforts
• Language Skills: English required; French, Spanish, or Arabic preferred
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, Egalite, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.