Pace University Director, Public Affairs NYC in New York, New York
Pace University, located in New York City, uplifts students academically and professionally with relevant, focused, and forward-looking programs that meet the needs of the workforce of the future. As Director of Public Affairs for New York City, this position advocates for the transformative power of higher education, by working with key constituencies in New York City, including the media. Will also serve as the key liaison with New York City-based elected officials and key organizations; work with senior leadership at Pace on public policy, permitting and any other governmental licensing; represent Pace University at public meetings; and work with New York City-based press.
Specific Position Duties:
• Advocate for legislative issues of importance to Pace University and work to establish and maintain relationships with elected officials and their staff whose policies, funding and recommendations may relate to higher education.
• Serve as public policy advisor to Pace University’s senior leadership.
• Participate in the strategic planning with senior management leading to the prioritization of funding goals.
• Work to secure funding from local, State and Federal officials for targeted projects.
• Draft position papers and legislation that accurately reflect the interests of the institution.
• Support the identification and solicitation of grants and public funding.
• Conduct media outreach with local New York City reporters.
• Forge partnerships with key organizations that help elevate Pace University
• Work with internal and external partners on events and programs that will enhance the student experience as well as the University’s image and identity.
• Support the office of Finance and Administration on real estate matters, such as strategic planning for projects that require government licensing, permitting or other approvals.
• Serve as a point person for relationships with local government agencies (specifically those that are working closely with the office of Finance and Administration as well as Facilities, such as the Dormitory Authority of the state of New York).
• Work with local neighbors, stakeholders, the business community and elected officials when community issues arise.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of eight years in public affairs or government experience. Knowledge of higher education is a plus.
• Experience working with diverse constituency groups and managing community issues.
• Great presentation and communication skills.
• Familiarity with working with press and media.
• The ability to work cooperatively and effectively with all university academic, administrative, and student government groups.
• Understanding of federal, state and city fiscal practices. Familiarity with legislative and executive branch personnel procedures and lobbying laws.
To apply, please visit: https://careers.pace.edu/postings/17212
Pace University has a proud history of preparing its diverse student body for a lifetime of professional success as a result of its unique program that combines rigorous academics and real-world experiences. Pace is ranked the #1 private, four-year college in the nation for upward economic mobility by Harvard University’s Opportunity Insights, evidence of the transformative education the University provides.
From its beginnings as an accounting school in 1906, Pace has grown to three campuses, enrolling 13,000 students in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in more than 150 majors and programs, across a range of disciplines: arts, sciences, business, health care, technology, law, education, and more. The university also has one of the most competitive performing arts programs in the country. Pace has a signature, newly renovated campus in New York City, located in the heart of vibrant Lower Manhattan, next to Wall Street and City Hall, and two campuses in Westchester County, New York: a 200-acre picturesque Pleasantville Campus and a Law School in White Plains.
Pace University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Pace is committed to ensuring the safety and security of the students, faculty, staff and visitors to the University. In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University’s Safety and Security department publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, which can be accessed here. The report contains information on security policies as well as crime and fire statistics for the University.