Stephen F. Austin State University Student Assistant - Field Ecology Research in Nacogdoches, Texas
Student Assistant - Field Ecology Research Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details. For more information or to apply, please email your CV and a short description of why you would be a good fit to either Ashley (Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tatiana (email@example.com).
Job Title Student Assistant - Field Ecology Research
This field/lab tech position is a three and a half month position (mid-May to the end of August) assisting two doctoral graduate students with collecting data on several projects which will involve: Ecology of native and non-native spiders as well as amphibian ecology (diet sampling of an invasive frog, Eleutherodactylus cystignathoides), and other sampling activities to amphibian communities in two national forests in East Texas. Most activities will take place close to Nacogdoches (up to two hours away) but will require flexibility to work during evenings occasionally due to nocturnal habits of the focal species.
- Assist in field data collection on spiders, other arthropods, and amphibians.
- Spider colony maintenance which includes feeding, mating, etc. under laboratory conditions.
- Assist in manipulation of frogs to obtain stomach contents and body measurements.
- Assist in measuring environmental characteristics related to sampling sites.
Carry equipment and drive vehicles, if necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Capable of following instructions and keeping materials and data organized.
- Should be pursuing an undergraduate degree.
- Must have a strong interest in ecological research and field work.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors during day and night activities with high heat and humidity, biting and stinging insects, venomous snakes and spiders, and poison ivy.
- Must have a willingness to work long days and most days of the week, including some weekends.
- Must have a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
Must have the ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public, coworkers, and university faculty/staff.
The minimum education required for admittance as a student at Stephen F. Austin State University.
No direct experience is required. Training and instruction will be provided.
- Physically capable of hiking, and carry out field work and lab work for several hours at a time.
- Willingness to learn.
- Familiarity with common field measuring tools (e.g. caliper, Daubenmire quadrat, density board, spherical densiometer)
- Experience operating GPS units.
- Must be able to drive a university vehicle
Applicants interested in pursuing a career in forestry or biology with an interest in ecology are especially encouraged to apply.
*Ability to perform work in varying environmental conditions including SUMMER HEAT, humidity, wind, and rain. *Must be able to tolerate the elements of the outdoors with the presence of bugs, insects, poison ivy, brush/briars, etc.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
A student must be enrolled in six or more semester hours to be eligible for student employment during the fall or spring semesters. To be eligible for student employment during the summer, a student must be enrolled in three or more semester hours or be registered for courses in the upcoming fall semester.
Student assistants may not hold any other type of position such as a graduate assistantship or temporary casual employment at the same time that they are employed as a student assistant.
Position End Date (if temporary)
Posting Number SA2021-064
Number of Vacancies 1
Posting Open Date 03/22/2021
Review Start Date
Posting Close Date
Min Pay Rate $10.00/hour
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
For more information or to apply, please email your CV and a short description of why you would be a good fit to either Ashley (Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tatiana (email@example.com).
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Quick Link https://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/6823
Contact Name Ashley Wahlberg
Contact Phone (936) 468-3304
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Information Applicants will be contacted by the hiring department if selected for an interview. If you have technical questions about this job posting, please contact HR at (936) 468-2304.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you enrolled as a student in the Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture?
* Are you available to work during the Summer?
Documents Needed To Apply