Washington State Maintenance Supervisor (night shift) in Mt. Vernon, Washington
Application review will begin on March 8, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
About WSDOT Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
The Opportunity WSDOT is currently seeking an experienced maintenance professional with leadership abilities to provide guidance, and support for employees tasked with roadway and roadside maintenance in Mount Vernon, WA and surrounding areas. The Highway Maintenance Supervisor will lead two crews performing a variety of highway maintenance and pavement preservation projects. This is a great challenge for a team minded person who thrives on being a leader in the field and wants the opportunity to work with others knowing that what you do really does make a difference on our state roads. Recognizing that safety is our top priority, *this position will often work in areas of high traffic volume while performing normal job functions. *
What to Expect The selected individual for this position will work in all weather conditions, be safety conscious and be available for overtime and emergency response. This position will supervise highway maintenance crews in roadway maintenance such as sweeping, tunnel maintenance, drainage maintenance, paving, highway safety features repair, traffic control, removal of illegal encampments and snow and ice operations.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Maintenance Supervisor will:
- Plan and supervise WSDOT Northwest Region’s Area 2 night shift crews, leading 2 (two) Highway Maintenance 3 employees and 10 (ten) Highway Maintenance 2 employees.
- Coordinates pavement preservation program activities with neighboring Superintendents, assigns, and supervises the work of full-time maintenance employees.
- Partnering with Area Superintendents, plan, develop, administer, and monitor assigned division budget and activities.
- Supervise, schedule, coordinate, and perform employee safety and training.
- Ensure fleet specifications, inspections, and maintenance requirements are met, and schedule fleet maintenance when necessary.
Respond and supervise winter operations, traffic operations, and any other traffic hazards and encroachments. Investigate concerns and respond to requests from the traveling public. Respond to emergency situations, coordinating with local, state, and federal agencies when necessary. Qualifications To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
High School Diploma or GED certification
- Two years’ experience as a Highway Maintenance 3 or equivalent roadway maintenance, construction, or other closely related work experience with heavy equipment operations.
- One year experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker 4 or equivalent roadway maintenance, construction, or other closely related work experience with heavy equipment operations.
- Hold a valid Washington State Class A CDL and medical card with manual transmission, endorsement N and without air brake restrictions.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Possess the following:
- Valid Traffic Control/Flagging card with experience performing traffic control MUTCD including planning, setting signs and cones or barrels, and flagging.
- WA State Pesticide Applicator’s License.
- Backflow Prevention Test Certificate.
- Crane Certificate.
*Important Notes *
- The salary for this position will include an additional $3.00 per hour for Night Shift and Designated Corridor pay.
- Application review will begin on March 5, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
The scheduled shift for this position is overnight, working Sunday through Wednesday 8:00pm – 6:30am.* * *Why WSDOT *
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information. Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:_ _
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity. * *
*WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may *contact the listed Recruiter.
*WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit *www.uscis.gov_ _
Contact us For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull, at ShullCo@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference *21DOT-NWR-12997 *in the subject line.
Salary: $59,688.00 - $72,756.00 Annually
Location: Skagit County - Mt. Vernon, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-NWR-12997
Closing: 3/22/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact