Galvion Product Engineer II in Montreal, Canada
PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
The Product Engineer II is the vital link between Industrial Design, Tooling, Manufacturing, Quality, and Galvion's suppliers. Working throughout the organization, this position will be responsible for project managing the creation and development of new armor products as well as improving existing ones. The Product Engineer II will lead product development project teams to deliver world-class armor products for military markets ensuring compliance to specification, integration into existing systems, and validation of the product design. The Product Engineer II will also focus “upstream” in the supply chain ensuring its optimization, assessing and developing the capabilities of the suppliers, and developing and implementing supply chain strategies and tactics, which will support growth.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Act as first-line technical resource for all enquiries coming from internal Customers in matters related to Galvion products for the Armor Business Unit;
Influence and own product roadmap implementation for at least one product line, develop priorities for pre-planned improvements in conjunction with Product Management;
Develop & Maintain Product Configuration
Participate in the implementation of tools and process to maintain integrity of product configuration
Update and Release Technical Data Packages
Participate in the Development of process for the Update and Release of Technical Data Packages
Primary interface with Marketing for the development of sales collateral and Customer Support for the implementation of field support processes
Support for the implementation of field support processes;
Recommend concepts to meet functional, military/commercial applications, and customer needs;
Update and Maintain the Product Life Cycle (PLC) process to design, develop, and prototype new products and manage them from “cradle-to-grave”;
Formulate detailed plans, develop timelines and cost estimates for development tasks and inform management of performance against plan as part of the Product Stage Gate Process;
Contribute to the estimation process to develop plans as part of the Product Stage Gate Process
Evaluate, document, and implement potential design and process changes to improve product performance, manufacturability, safety or cost consistent with company Product Stage Gate Process requirements;
In concert with Supply Chain, obtain components/supplies/equipment to support prototype assembly, and conduct preliminary vendor assessment/selection;
Assess reliability, safety, performance and technical risk;
Coordinate and communicate development schedules or design issues throughout the technical team continuously;
Oversee Junior Product Engineers.
Create product specifications in alignment with Customer Requirements;
Lead the technical team that ensures that all technical and Customer documentation meet requirements;
Work with the technical team, Supply Chain and other stakeholders to ensure progress against plan.
Identify, develop and implement pre-production assembly methods and equipment; coordinate with vendor activities relative to communication of specifications, development schedules, and system compatibility.
Create the Bill of Materials and manage the complete BOM through product development, including the cost analysis interaction with Finance and transfer to manufacturing.
Create and Review, fully dimensioned drawings and Technical Data Packages, (TDP), to be provided to suppliers for sourcing new product components.
Create and Review test & validation plans for new products to validate conformance to specifications
Ensure that proper Design-For-“X” (Dfx) analysis and guidance is provided to the development team.
Identify and ensure that Intellectual Property is captured.
Technical Project Management
Serve as the point of contact for internal/external customers on all technical matters on project;
Communicate on technical points between the project team and the Customer;
Determine and Follow-up engineering actions between progress review meetings;
Handle administrative engineering management tasks;
Lead the implementation of Design-To-Cost (DTC) and support choice of suppliers and overall commercial strategy for your project;
Implement the Design-For-Manufacturability (DFM).
Lead design reviews meetings with the Customer.
Lead technical tender.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience. Mechanical, Material, or Industrial Engineering preferred;
· 5+ years' experience working in a product development environment or related engineering role required;
· License to practice as a Professional Engineer, a plus;
· Experience and understanding of at least one of the following areas is considered essential: product development cycle in a defence, transport or aerospace environment, injection molding or associated manufacturing processes, quality assurance protocols, design-to-cost methodology, military standards, proof-of-compliance and safety testing of equipment;
· Strong interpersonal relationship and leadership skills;
· Must be able to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications / technical requirements;
· Strong knowledge of QMS, ISO, industry standards, military standards and associated procedures;
· Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles;
· Ability to work independently on assigned scope
· Highly motivated problem solver with meticulous attention to detail;
· Experience with industry standard CAD, CAM, and PLM software
· Responsiveness to external and internal customers and a can-do, positive attitude are a must;
· Strong English language, verbal communication and writing skills required.
· Knowledge of and experience of working with Military and Personal Protective Equipment Standards, a plus.
Behavioral competency Requirements
Work environment (include physical requirements)
Office base environment.
Approximately 20% travel between Montreal and Vermont to visit Galvion facilities and supplier locations is required. May include additional travel overseas.