The Blake School PK-12 Modern and Classical Languages Chair in Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Blake School seeks to hire a PK-12 Modern and Classical Languages Department Chair to lead our outstanding department starting in the 2021-22 school year.
The ideal candidate will have deep emotional intelligence, extensive teaching experience in a PK-12 environment and a passion for sharing best practice pedagogy in the field. Strong candidates will also demonstrate familiarity with research about student learning, language curriculum design, second language acquisition and constructivist teaching.
Blake’s Modern and Classical Languages (MCL) program is composed of four languages: French, Latin, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. Students begin learning Spanish in pre-kindergarten, a proficiency model that continues through grade five. In Middle School, students choose among the four languages. Upper School course offerings include Level 1 through post-AP in all four languages.
Curricular and Programmatic Leadership
- Develop a thorough understanding of the curriculum through one-on-one conversations, classroom observations, department meetings and a careful review of current courses.
- Identify opportunities to expand or enhance the MCL curriculum within and across divisions.
- Collaborate closely with department faculty to oversee the evolution and alignment of the curriculum, consistent with Blake’s mission.
- Teach up to two class sections, modeling best practices in language instruction and inspiring a love of language learning in students.
- Design PK-12 and divisional department meetings and professional learning experiences.
- Partner with other department chairs and with division directors to design, coordinate and integrate course content and offerings.
- Represent the department’s program on school committees.
- Oversee and communicate about department budget.
Faculty Support and Evaluation
- Build community and collegiality by being a reliable and accessible presence across campuses and divisions.
- Collaborate closely with divisional administrators on hiring, retaining, coaching and evaluating department faculty.
- Envision and support professional development for MCL faculty so that each teacher can effectively implement a wide range of best-practice instructional and assessment strategies.
- Support ongoing conversations about the role of intercultural competence in MCL teaching and learning.
Institutional & Community Partnerships
- Coordinate with the Amity Institute to identify and orient two Amity interns for Blake’s Lower School Spanish proficiency program.
- Collaborate with Admissions and Communications Departments to share with constituents and prospective families the department’s philosophy, vision and offerings.
- Develop and maintain connections with relevant programs, institutions and thought leaders in the Twin Cities and beyond.
Blake is particularly interested in candidates who will enrich the diversity of identity and lived experience that strengthens our community and empowers students to engage across differences.
The search committee will begin reviewing resumes on Jan. 4; we warmly welcome applications after that date, as well. Blake will cover travel and lodging costs for finalist visits to campus.
- Undergraduate degree or native-level fluency in French, Latin, Mandarin Chinese or Spanish, with a strong preference for an advanced degree or work toward an advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Substantial professional experience in language education, with a preference for experience teaching in multiple divisions PK-12.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills.
- Logistical and organizational acumen, reflecting the needs of a multi-campus, three-division school.
- Knowledge of and commitment to learning about best practices in language learning, including second language acquisition.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and evaluate faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets.
Department chairs work closely with division directors and report directly to the Associate Head of School.
Keyword: PK-12 Modern and Classical Languages Chair
From: The Blake School