Baffinland Iron Mine Mental Health Counsellor in Mary River, Territory of Nunavut
Mission for this Position
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations, the Mental Health Counsellor will be stationed onsite with responsibility for providing specialized support and counselling to a diverse workforce. Responsibilities include support and counselling employees to help them manage and address critical personal issues and provide appropriate reccomendations.
•Provides counselling services to Baffinland employees and contractors.
• Provides group programs and services to clients.
• Participates in development and education at a remote worksite.
• Maintains accurate and confidential client records electronically.
• Carry out thorough risk assessments and monitoring of clients.
• Collaborate with other professionals to develop treatment plans for clients.
• Assist clients to manage their emotions through de-escalation strategies.
• Use trauma-informed best practices.
• Coaching, training and development of site leadership team in various areas of mental health and awareness.
• Provide regular updates to designated management representatives.
• Build relationships with community health resources.
• Crisis response, intervention and promote harm reduction.
• Provide pandemic support, vaccination rollout support, testing site support.
• Attend weekly meetings with the designated Baffinland representatives.
• Potential travel Nunavut communities, often by small aircraft.
• Assessment of individual clinical and psychosocial needs, urgency and acuity
• Internal navigation and/or facilitating access to other health care providers and community organizations
• Collaboration with Family Physicians and/or other caregivers to provide care, including monitoring
• Able to engage in self-reflective practice and adjust approach as necessary to meet the needs of clients
• Must possess knowledge, experience and skills within Anti-Oppressive and Recovery Practice including expertise in one or more of the following: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, and Mindfulness-based Therapy.
• Excellent Group Therapy skill set is an asset
• Ability to deliver Brief Solution Focused Counselling would be considered an asset
• Expertise working with people experiencing symptoms of low mood and anxiety
• Experience in addictions counselling
• Excellent telephone, interpersonal and presentation communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to tolerate ambiguity and embrace change
• Flexibility in working hours is required
• Willing to work in person, virtually or by phone to provide individual and/or group care.
College, Bachelor's Degree, or higher, in mental health related fields such as Counselling, Psychology, Social Work
3-5 years of experience working as a Mental Health Counsellor and/or equivalent
Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Job ID 2022-3554
Job Category Human Resources
Job Type Permanent
Job Location 1 : Location CA-NU-Mary River