Summit Design and Engineering Services, PLLC Transportation Engineering Technician in Martinsburg, West Virginia
Transportation Engineering Technician - Levels I, II and III
Summit Design and Engineering Services is seeking Transportation Engineering Techniciansto work on highway construction projects throughout West Virginia. In this role you will use independent judgment and may vary work methods and procedures with prescribed parameters and work under general supervision.
- Assist in the inspection of various roadways and structures construction operations and perform a variety of calculations and computations with supervision.
- Perform materials sampling and testing.
- Collect materials weigh tickets and conduct various roadway tests to ensure materials delivered to project meets specifications and are placed in accordance with standard specification.
- Monitor and perform all types of inspection work on complex and routine highway projects.
- Perform and maintain daily record keeping and reports including daily reports, change orders, testing reports and construction pay applications. Prepare monthly project estimates.
- Take field measurements of various completed work items and make calculations to determine contract pay quantities.
- Read plans and blueprints.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School diploma or equivalent. Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or closely related filed desired.
- Working knowledge of mathematics in both algebra, geometry, trigonometry and the ability to apply formulas.
- Proficient in the use of iPad, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Dropbox and/or OneDrive.
- Ability to work independently, use own judgment and make decisions.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform required testing and maintain detailed reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively with agency and contractor personnel and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret roadway, bridge and structure plans and contract specifications.
- Must be able to walk over rough and uneven terrain and be able to stand up to 12 hours a day on occasion.
- Must have the ability to bend, stoop, kneel and twist, use hands to grasp and arms to reach, to raise hands above head, to sit, climb and balance and to work in confined spaces and heights with adequate vision to perform tasks.
- Must be able to lift and carry up-to 50 pounds, on occasion.
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions.
- Valid Driver's license with good driving record and ability to drive.
- Level II Technicians:High School diploma or equivalent andcertified by the WVTRET Certification Board as a Technician II and have WVDOH Materials Certifications OR WVTRET Certification Board Pre-Approved Associate's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or similar technical degree from an accredited college or university.
- Level III Technicians:High School diploma or equivalent and certified by the WVTRET Certification Board as a Technician III and have WVDOH Materials Certifications OR WVTRET Certification Board Pre-Approved Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or similar technical degree from an accredited college or university.
- Portland Cement Concrete Inspector
- Aggregate Inspector
- Compaction (Soils and Aggregate)
Operating as Summit since 2004, we are a compact engineering and design firm structured to adapt quickly and offer clients the most current technology, innovative design solutions and comprehensive project management for turn-key delivery. We know that one size rarely fits all. That's why we look at the individual needs of every project and match it with our proven technical expertise and experience. We are headquartered in Hillsborough, North Carolina, with offices in Raleigh, Asheville, Fayetteville, Pittsboro, Indian Trail, and Wilmington. Summit also has offices in Richmond, Franklin and South Boston, Virginia. We also have offices in Ft. Mill, SC and St. Petersburg, FL. For the past six years we have been named one of the fastest growing companies in the Research Triangle area. TalentDesk has named us one of the best companies to work for in 2019.
Why Work for Summit?
We foster a caring and collaborative work environment that also encourages commitment to the communities that we serve, our employees and clients will succeed together. We strive to be integral to the success of the communities we build. We maintain a close-knit team culture where we measure our success by the success of our people and clients. We can help you take your career to the next level!
Criminal and driving background will be performed and must be in good standing. Summit Design and Engineering is an Equal opportunity employer/affirmative action. E-verify
Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life, short term and long term disability insurance, HSA, medical and dependent care FSAs, 401(k), service awards, paid vacation, sick and holiday time, paid voluntary/community service leave, wellness program including wellness stipend, student loan repayment assistance, and tuition reimbursement.
Location: Martinsburg, WV, USA
Pay Type: Hourly
Employment Type: Full Time