Applied Physics Laboratory Cyber Test & Evaluation Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you curious about the cyber vulnerabilities present in complex systems?
Are you passionate about finding cyber weaknesses?
Do you like telling truth to power…with data?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Cyber Test and Evaluation Engineer to help us plan and execute test and evaluation of Navy tactical systems. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to advance the state of the art and prepare our sponsors for the future using our own novel scalable test and evaluation approaches. In this role, you will play a part in laying the groundwork for our Nation's ability to successfully adapt its cyber capabilities against the threats of the 21st Century. You'll be a member of our diverse team of cybersecurity experts that are driving thought leadership and engineering to address the evolving cyber threat. We are passionate about defending our warfighters against cyber threats.
As a Cyber Test and Evaluation Engineer, you will...
- Plan and organize cyber test events for tactical platforms and systems
- Execute a wide array of cyber test events that support solutions for advanced tactical system applications
- Analyze systems to understand system functionality and identify potential defects, vulnerabilities, and inefficiencies
- Collaborate with operational and technical subject matter experts (SMEs) to identify gaps and develop recommendations to address these gaps
- Foster relationships with sponsors and end-users to define requirements of the operational environment and promote the system engineering activities necessary for effective test and evaluation
- Contribute to technical project evaluations and promote good systems engineering practices and methodologies
- Provide technical direction and mentoring to other team members
- Analyze tactical system performance when subjected to cyber threats, to inform future tactical system design and improvements
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Cyber Security, Computer Information Systems Security or related field
- Have at least 2+ years of experience in systems engineering or cybersecurity engineering and have experience with cyber test and evaluation for complex systems
- Are skilled in knowledge of fundamental principles, DoD policy, and NIST guidance on Cybersecurity, Cyber Resilience, Cyber Risk Management, System Hardening, or Vulnerability Assessment
- Are familiar with DoD guidance on cyber test and evaluation and cyber risk assessment
- Are willing and able to perform occasional travel to and work at military facilities, including US Navy ships, which may require occasional work outside of and in excess of normal working hours, at locations throughout the continental US
- Have the ability to rapidly learn new platforms, architectures and frameworks and work in small, multi-disciplinary teams
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Are highly motivated and able to work independently to plan, problem solve, and produce results
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a final Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Cyber Security, Computer Information Systems Security or related field
- Have current Certifications such as Security +, CEH, CySA+, CISSP, CTEP, GSEC, or similar
- Have planned and executed cyber test events for DoD systems
- Have successfully evaluated technical cyber test data such as pcap, event logs, pentest tool outputs, and non-IP traffic
- Possess a Secret level security clearance and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Have operational experience with Navy systems
- Have five or more years of experience performing cyber engineering or test and evaluation for AEGIS, SSDS, or Navy shipboard combat system elements or similarly complex DoD systems
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 26028