Abbott Manager – Software Development in Irving, Texas
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Main Purpose of Role:
Abbott Diagnostics is currently seeking a Software Development Manager to manage development processes and lead Agile development teams working on our diagnostic instrument software. The applications are developed in C, C#, C++, .NET. As a Software Development Manager, you will be involved in all stages of the project lifecycle from requirements, to design, to development, to testing, and implementation. The Software Development Manager is accountable for the quality of the daily scrum team activities to ensure their design, development, delivery and maintenance of the instrument software meet our organizational standards. The Manager promotes an Agile (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Kanban, SAFe) environment consistent with industry best practices, ensures the right operational processes are in place and that we are designing software that can scale to the business needs. This role requires the Manager to mitigate team weaknesses and harness strengths to align with long term organizational strategies and enforce quality system standards while meeting or exceeding expectations set forth by Executive Management.
• Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
• Provides architecture and technology direction, leadership, and mentoring to development staff to follow approved architecture and security patterns, practices, and other relevant processes.
• Provides leadership, coaching, mentoring, motivation, and guidance on personnel issues to developers; direct staff (20+ direct reports).
• Manages and supports the operations of all aspects of the software development life cycle (SDLC) including research, requirements analysis, prototyping, design, programming, code reviews, technical documentation, and testing
• Responsible for the day-to-day quality and support of services provided by developers to stakeholders, end users and customers
• Implements processes that take proactive approaches to potential technical problems
• Provides oversight and review of technical designs and project plans for development projects
• Fosters a positive development environment promoting creativity and innovation
• Work together with the Director of Software Development and Product Owner to plan and execute project(s), ensure that team has appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that project remains on target to meet deadlines
Minimum Education Required:
BS/MS Engineering or Computer Science (Required)
Minimum Work Experience Required:
At least 5 years experience in R&D Engineering Management role
5-10 years Engineering experience
Knowledge of regulations and standards for medical devices
Project management experience and budget responsibilities
Preferred Education, Experience, etc.:
Strong knowledge of product development engineering practices in a regulated industry (eg, defense, medical, finance, etc)
Strong Agile methods implementation experience
Ability to influence; act as change agent
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org