HARRIS COUNTY Virology Technician in Houston, Texas
Under the supervision of the Virologist, the Virology Technician provides general support services in the laboratory as well as performing basic technical tasks in preparation of laboratory samples for arbovirus testing, and assisting with testing.
- Assists in the preparation and testing of mosquito pools for St. Louis Encephalitis, West Nile, Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika viruses to include:
- Grinding and processing mosquito pools for testing.
- Labeling tubes, test plates, and tissue culture flasks.
- Assisting with the testing of mosquito samples by: ELISA, IA, RAMP, Tissue Culture, VecTest, and any new testing methodology incorporated into our testing program.
Performs serological evaluation of avian sera for SLE and WNV viral antibodies to include:
Processing and treatment of sera for removal of non-specific inhibitors and natural agglutinins.
- Assisting with Hem agglutination-inhibition (HI), and IgM tests.
Assists with general laboratory tasks to include:
- PH determination, centrifugation, pipetting, filtration, and incubation.
- Cleaning and autoclave/sterilization of laboratory glassware and miscellaneous lab ware.
- Stocking, conducting and maintaining inventory of lab supplies.
- Performing daily temperature checks of incubators, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Cleaning and disinfecting biohazard safety cabinets and work areas.
- Cleaning and disinfecting mosquito tissuelysers, and centrifuges.
Packaging bio-hazardous waste materials for disposal. Administrative/Computer/Clerical Tasks:
Performs data entry of all test results and special projects. Other
Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks in responding to an emergency event.
Participates in the dynamics of HCPH's One Health Initiative. Requirements
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Six (6) months of paid experience working in a general biology laboratory.
- Knowledge of elementary virology and biology.
- Working knowledge of microbiological procedures.
- Good organizational and data entry skills.
- Ability to learn virology testing techniques.
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire).
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation; but* ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration.* Preferences
- One (1) to two (2) years of college.
- Experience in working with a Mosquito Control Program.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office applications. General Information
40 Hours per Week / Monday - Friday SALARY:
Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
**Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others. Collaboration
Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs. Innovation
Ability to adapt to change. Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics
Uses sound judgment.
Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity. Communication
Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
- Able to read and follow directions.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Public Health Services
Job Number: 05217
Closing: 4/26/2020 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240 Houston, Texas, 77002