Occidental Petroleum Staff Accountant in Houston, Texas
Title: Staff Accountant Location: United States-Texas-Houston Other Locations:
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Staff Accountant based in Houston, TX.
Reporting to the Marketing Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant is responsible for settling monthly invoices for assigned counterparties and prepare balance sheet reconciliation for assigned accounts.
The following are job duties expected of the Staff Accountant:
- Regularly work with a team of accountants on settling monthly volumetric allocations for multiple commodities by analyzing pipeline statements and other transporter reports.
- Ensure that transactions with assigned counterparties are settled in accordance with the trading system, resolving discrepancies timely to process payment.
- Work with Operations to ensure completeness and accuracy of trucking and inventory transactions recorded in the trading system.
- Reconcile actualized volumes per our trading system with our revenue accounting group for equity and 3rd party and resolve discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with project team, product control, revenue accounting and Operations to improve processes and provide reliable analysis.
- Gather supporting documents and provide explanations for audit request for consolidated and stand-alone financial statements (as applicable).
- Document and update desk procedures for assigned tasks.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Energy Marketing industry experience (5 years, minimum of 3 years in Natural Gas Liquids and/or Natural Gas)
- Experience working in a trading system, Allegro experience a plus.
- Strong ability in managing and processing large quantities of data
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner and establish effective working relationships with internal operations and external customers
- Team-oriented spirit who displays a willingness to help others; and lead by example
- Capacity to maintain an optimistic and positive attitude
- Motivated, self-directed and results-driven approach to work, also takes ownership of assigned tasks
- Ability to research and prepare analysis to respond to internal and external inquiries in a timely, professional and thorough manner
- Creative thinker who can identify processes for continuous process improvement opportunities
- Ability to anticipate issues and how they impact the team or other stakeholders, and act on them in advance
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt and manage multiple priorities in a rapidly changing dynamic environment
- Employ fundamental accounting skills: general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and account reconciliations
- Working proficiency and knowledge in Excel, i.e. mining/manipulating data. Experience with modeling and/or creating macros a plus.
- Initiative to consistently meet internal and external deadlines
- Overtime will be required during critical times.
- Allegro Trading System
- SAP Financial software application experience
Relocation: Will not be offered at this time.
Occidental does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status