American Express Analyst-Risk & Info Management (Underwriting) in Honolulu, Hawaii
Overview of The Department * * Commercial Ratings and Underwriting (CRU) sits within the Risk and Information Management (RIM) division and forms the institutional credit risk management function within American Express. The CRU team plays the critical role of assessing and managing the risk of institutional exposures across all business units within American Express, and in all regions globally. Credit exposures are primarily generated through corporate and small business card programs, via merchant service relationships where non-delivery risk exists, and among the securities portfolio held for firm-wide liquidity. CRU is led from Salt Lake City with regional teams in New York, London, Singapore and Sydney.
In addition to determining the internal credit rating which drives the probability of default of each exposure, CRU also calculates the loss given default of these obligors while underwriting card programs. As a bank holding company, American Express must comply with the highest global banking standards set by Basel and implemented by our primary regulator, the Federal Reserve.
* Provide support and development of MIS including reporting, data analytics, and ad-hoc analysis.
* Perform data validation and data correction with database methods, dictionaries, and self-developed scripts.
* Support various ad-hoc querying requests, analytical projects, and system design and testing. **
Desired Skills * Manage report volumes and audit MIS systems to ensure they run efficiently * Ability to pull ad-hoc reports via SAS and/or Teradata to support our team and business partners’ needs * Work closely with technology groups and business partners to resolve data issues, develop capabilities, and support strategies * Act as a subject matter expert regarding data stored and reported * Familiarity with credit risk and analysis * Familiarity with how probability of default and loss given default determine economic and regulatory capital * Ability to support lead large scale, time sensitive, enterprise-wide projects through to successful completion * Knowledge of a diverse set of technologies and tools, i.e. Hive, Python, Hadoop, etc…
- 0 - 2 years’ experience analyzing and manipulating data, and investigating data problems, using SQL and Excel is required
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex, ad-hoc data analysis, interpret data findings, and present those findings to management is required
- Skilled in MS Office with moderate level in Excel
- Ability to work directly with business users and translate their needs into results
- Ability to speak clearly about complex ideas
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Good project planning, organization and follow-up skills
- Strong analytic, quantitative and problem solving skills
- SAS/SQL (Advanced SAS certification preferred)
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Finance or similar field of study or equivalent work experience
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Title: Analyst-Risk & Info Management (Underwriting)
Other Locations: US-Utah-Sandy
Requisition ID: 20004861