Texas Veterans Commission TVC Claims Benefit Advisor in Harlingen, Texas
All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. College transcripts must be attached to the application. To receive Veterans’ preference, a copy of the FORM DD214 -member 1 copies are not acceptable, must be attached when submitting your Application. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
*Submitted Through Work in Texas: *
Work in Texas (WIT) applicants must complete the supplemental questions to be considered for the posting. To complete the supplemental questions please go to CAPPS Recruit to register or login and access your profile. CAPPS Recruit:https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
General Description:Performs routine (entry-level) work involving counseling and claims work. Work involves providing veterans and their dependents, Veterans County Service Officers, and employees of the Commission with claims and benefit assistance. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interview veterans and family members to record and assess benefits information to determine client needs.
- Prepares and files claims and supporting evidence for successful adjudication.
- Counsels and assists veterans and other eligible family members in obtaining benefits, rights, entitlements, and other supportive services.
- Consults with medical and legal staff in the development of pertinent evidence to support claims.
- Performs case management services and maintains client files.
- May prepare and submit written reports.
- May represent the agency at public information programs, conduct briefings and/or presentations on veterans’ benefits.
- May conduct outreach activities to identify veterans, their dependents, or survivors in need of claims assistance and other supportive services.
- Work hours other than designated hours may be required.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Military Crosswalk information:
Minimum Education:Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in social work, business management, political science, or a related field. Experience may be substituted for education on a year-by-year basis.College Transcripts must be attached.
Minimum *Experience:* One year of experience in gathering, reviewing, and processing applications, documents, and other information.
Additional Requirements: A valid Texas Driver’s License is required.
Final candidate must be able to successfully pass federal background checks and obtain accreditation with Veterans Affairs to submit Claims.
Preferred Experience and Qualification:
- Honorably discharged veteran highly preferred.
- Experience in filing benefit claims with the Department of Veteran Affairs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations applicable to the processing of veterans’ claims; and of assessment techniques.
- Skill in interviewing and counseling, and in the use of a computer and applicable software.
- Skill in analyzing and problem solving.
- Ability to understand and apply Department of Veterans Affairs rules and regulations when reviewing VA documents and veterans’ claim folders.
- Ability to interpret laws, rules, and regulations applicable to the processing of veterans’ claims.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to our clients, stakeholders, and partners.
- Ability to accurately review and evaluate documents for completeness and acceptability based on agency statutes, rules, or procedures.
Ability to meet deadlines in a timely matter.
*Environmental & Physical Conditions: *
Normal office work environment, mostly sedentary in nature. May involve walking; standing; remaining stationary for long periods of time; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping, and bending; and safely lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds. Work involves extensive telephone usage and repetitive hand/wrist/finger motions while using the computer.
Notes to the Applicant:
To receive Veterans’ preference, a copy of the FORM DD214 -member 1 copies are not acceptable, must be attached when submitting your application. College transcripts must be attached to the application. If you require any reasonable accommodation for the interview process, please inform the hiring representative who calls to schedule your interview.
This position has been designated as a security sensitive position. A criminal background investigation will be conducted on the final candidate for this position.
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS WE DO NOT ACCEPT TELEPHONE CALLS APPLICANTS SCHEDULED FOR INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.
- Veterans Information:*The Texas Veterans Commission is committed to hiring Veterans and is proud to employ the highest percentage of Veterans among all state agencies. Additional info may apply via the job posting.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Texas Veterans Commission does not discriminate on the basis, of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Job: *Business and Financial Operations
Organization: *TEXAS VETERANS COMMISSION
Title: TVC Claims Benefit Advisor
Requisition ID: 00018376