Arnot Health Registered Nurse - Pediatrics in Elmira, New York
The RN is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility and accountability for a group of patients for a designated time frame and provides care to these patients via therapeutic use of self, the nursing process, the environment/instrumentation, and other health care team members. The RN is expected to perform their duties according to established standards of care and the core values established by the Division of Nursing. Reports to assigned Unit Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
STANDARDS OF CARE
Nursing Process Assessment
- Performs assessment/data collection in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychological and cognitive status of patients.**
- Analyzes assessment data to determine appropriate nursing diagnoses.**
3 Identifies appropriate expected outcomes individualized to the patient.**
Formulates a goal directed plan of care, which is prioritized and based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcomes.**
Identifies patient/significant other learning needs and implements appropriate measures to meet these.**
Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and continuous manner.**
Performs documentation duties on unit and in patient record, which is timely, accurate and concise.**
- Evaluates effectiveness of self, care given by all health care team members, and contribution of systems, environment, and instrumentation in progressing patient toward outcomes.**
Quality of Care
Functions with an awareness and application of safety issues as identified within the institution.**
Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons, and documenting events.**
Demonstrates sound knowledge base and actions in the care and decision making for designated patient populations.**
Follows all Medical Center, Division of Nursing and Unit specific Policy and Procedures.**
Consistently incorporates hourly rounding into daily practice.**
Demonstrates an awareness of self responsibility and accountability for own professional practices.**
Demonstrates awareness of legal issues in all aspects of patient care and unit function and strives to manage situations in a reduced risk manner.**
Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills required by assigned unit.**
Participates actively in staff development activities for unit and department of nursing personnel and other departments and personnel as appropriate.**
Formulates and uses effective working relationships with all health care team members, patients, and significant others.**
Remains flexible in staffing patterns and resolution of staffing conflicts.**
Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patient/significant other rights, as identified within the institution.**
Decisions and actions on behalf of patients are determined in an ethical manner. **
- Remains aware of current nursing research and implements findings in Nursing Practice as applicable.**
- Functions to establish priorities of patient care based on essential patient needs and available unit resources of time, personnel, equipment and supplies.**
- Accepts accountability for individual practice.
Caring and Compassionate Environment
- Respects and recognizes each patient as a unique individual and provides holistic nursing care.
- Collaborates with the patient, family and other health care providers in providing patient care.**
- Demonstrates effective communication methods and skills, using lines of authority appropriately.**
Continuity of Care
- Consistently identifies appropriate care plan and delivers care according to the plan of care.**
Demonstrates leadership ability.
Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the direction and coordination of health care team members, patient care and unit activities.**
Practices effective problem identification and resolution skills as a method of sound decision making.**
Demonstrates self directed learning and participation in continuing education to meet own professional development. Attends 75% of all staff meetings and 100% of all mandatory in-services.**
Seeks validation of knowledge base, skill level, and decision making as necessary and assertively seeks guidance in areas of question.**
Participation in Decision Making
Participates in development and attainment of unit and Department of Nursing goals, along with Medical Center strategic plans and goals.**
Participates in unit, Division of Nursing and Medical Center councils/committees as appropriate.**
Participates in Quality Improvement initiatives and standards development.**
Is familiar with and demonstrates Quality in Action principles and participates in the process as appropriate.**
- Provides age-appropriate care to all patients according to their age groups for the particular unit to which the individual is assigned.**
Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of satisfying the needs of the customer/patient by interacting with him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to the customer’s needs, both psychologically and physically, and by taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience with the Medical Center.
It is understood that this job description lists typical duties for the classification and is not to considered inclusive of all duties, which may be assigned.
Current NYS nursing licensure, limited permit or eligible. Excellent communication skills and writing ability.
Appreciable physical effort required; lifting, pulling, pushing, and moving patients of various size, capabilities and abilities. Some lifting, reaching, and stooping. Required to be on feet much of the time.
Category I. Tasks that involve exposure to blood and body fluid or tissues.
** ADA Essential Functions