Renesas Sr. Staff Applications Engineer in Durham, North Carolina
Sr. Staff Applications Engineer
Company: Renesas Electronics America Inc.
Department: Battery Charging & USB Solutions Department
Business Unit: IoT and Infrastructure Business Unit
Job Function: Application Engineering
Job Type: Permanent
Job Title: Sr. Staff Applications Engineer
Reports To: Mgr, Apps Engr
Location: Durham, NC
About the team: Renesas Electronics Americas (REA) is a dynamic, multi-cultural tech company where employees can learn, mentor and thrive. REA brings together the strong financial foundation of a multi-billion dollar global operation and the flexibility and velocity of a smaller organization. We are developing technologies for the latest advances in mobile computing, secured connected devices, autonomous driving, smart homes and factories and more. Our solutions are at the heart of products developed by the major innovators around the world. Join us and be part of what’s next in electronics.
This is an opportunity to join a top-notch Battery Charger Applications Engineering Team with Renesas Electronics America’s leading power management product line. As part of one of Renesas’s most prominent Mobility, Infrastructure and IoT Power (MIIP) Business Division, this Engineer will work on next-generation IC products for multiple fast paced consumer power products.
What we need:
The Applications Engineering team is seeking for an Applications Engineer who is technically experienced and is excited about working on cutting edge power solutions for battery charger products. This role is responsible for firmware development of USB PD (Power Delivery) capable products with Renesas microcontrollers and will need to acquire necessary skill sets from our Japan team. This role will also participate in development and qualification of DC-DC power converter products with Renesas advanced control architectures. Given the wide range of responsibility, we’re looking for someone eager to learn, ready to hit the ground running, and help define what Applications means for Renesas. This opportunity will allow you to open pathways to own a greater level of responsibility in the team and across Renesas. If you like problem-solving, building something from the ground up, and challenging the status quo, we’d like to hear from you.
What You’ll do:
• Develop and maintain FW with Renesas microcontrollers
• Work with key customers directly throughout the product cycle
• Support internal teams on various application tasks (e.g. root cause analysis, simulation, and hands-on debugging, etc.)
• Conduct system level simulation with appropriate tools
• Drive system level testing, validation and characterization
• Design evaluation boards on circuit schematic, PCB layout, and BOM
• Coordinate group discussions or reviews with cross-functional teams
• Prepare technical documentation (e.g. datasheet, application notes, design guidelines, etc.)
• Generate competitive analysis and contribute to product definition
Skills You’ll Need:
• Solid experience in C or embedded programming and basic EE knowledge is required
• Firmware development skill for microcontrollers with multiple programming languages is required
• Exposure to both firmware and hardware developing environments
• Excellent organizational skills, analytical thinking and attention to details
• Familiar with power management architectures of battery powered devices such as smartphones, tablet and PCs.
• Familiar with product characterization equipment such as oscilloscope, power supplies, electronic load, etc.
• Schematic capture, PCB design tools such as OrCAD or Allegro
• Analog circuit modeling/simulation tools such as Simplis, Cadence, PSpice, etc.
• Knowledge of USB-C/PD related specifications is a plus
• M.S./Ph.D. in electrical engineering or computer engineering with 10-12 years of experience in power industry is preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran
This company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability or protected veteran status.