Airgas Usa LLC Lab Technician in Durham, North Carolina
Job Overview: This position is primarily responsible for the analysis and certification of specialty gases, in compliance with established specifications. Performs analysis for specialty gases and finished product testing; assists scheduling of all products to be analyzed, proper storage, labeling and shipping. Duties include maintaining instrumentation, developing analytical methods, refining and improving current techniques, troubleshooting processes, documenting results and training personnel.
Responsibilities and Duties: * Perform analyses of gases using analytical instrumentation. * Performs routine production testing and quality control analysis of specialty gas mixtures and pure gases. * Analyzing multi-component hydrocarbon mixtures, both gases and liquids, using gas chromatography and process analyzers. * Analyzing raw hydrocarbons, both liquids and gases, for impurities and effectively recording and reporting the results. * Troubleshooting analytical methods and instrument operation in an immediate and accurate manner. * Providing technical support or assistance to fellow technicians. * Monitor quality compliance with standard operating procedure manual requirements. * Prepare gas analysis certification reports for customer distribution. * Reviewing and approving analytical results, certificates of analysis and associated documentation per Airgas SOPs and customer requirements. * Coordinates with supervisor concerning delivery schedules, product complaints and special product requests. * Support management team with regard to maintenance of health and safety and ISO quality programs. * Monitoring lead times and effectively prioritizing workloads. * Assisting in the qualification and maintenance of laboratory standards including proper inventory, labeling, documentation, storage, and presentation. * Assisting in the set up and maintenance of laboratory instruments and keeping maintenance records for laboratory instruments per Airgas SOPs. * Participating as a team member on special projects. * Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Associates degree in Chemistry or related field required or 1-3 years of relevant experience in an industrial environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of analytical chemistry, instrumental analysis, spectroscopy and statistical methods.
- Ability to read and comprehend Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ability to coordinate efforts with multiple departments.
- Aptitude for high precision work.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the Laboratory Technician.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment to meet the Laboratory goals.
- Ability to operate forklift and maintain forklift certifications.
- Ability to Follow Directions, Make Decisions, Work in a team, and be Reliable.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) or equivalent software.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex instructions such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information to co-workers and customers.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages.
- Ability to work all shifts; subject to all weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to meet the following physical demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; use hands and arms; and talk or hear. The associate must lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to focus.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability
Title: Lab Technician
Location: North Carolina-Durham-27713
Requisition ID: 30193
Other Locations: United States-North Carolina-Sanford-27330, United States-North Carolina-Raleigh-27604-3497, United States-North Carolina-Greensboro-27401, United States-North Carolina