APEX Engineering Lead Engineer - Transportation - Western ND in Dickinson, North Dakota
Position Description:Apex Engineering Group has openings for a Lead Engineer working for our Transportation Group located in our Dickinson, ND office. This position has been created to specifically focus on continued development and expansion of Apex’s Transportation services in the western ND and eastern Montana. Responsibilities include business development efforts that will lead to managing a team of engineers, technicians and support staff on City, County and NDDOT or MDT (Montana Department of Transportation) projects from the planning phase through design and construction. A Lead Engineer shall be capable of independently managing projects and collaboratively contributing to the design and development of project plans and specifications while working with and mentoring project team members. Lead Engineers typically report to a sector leader or principal of the firm. The opportunity for advancement in the company exists as success is demonstrated with managing projects and various business development activities.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering required.
- Professional Engineers License preferred or ability to be licensed within 6-12 months, in North Dakota.
- 5-15 Years of experience working as a Civil Engineer primarily on transportation focused projects.
- Experience working as a consultant or for a state or county agency such as NDDOT or MDT is preferred.
- Strong project management skills and experience is essential for this position.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a prerequisite.
- Must be detail orientated, self-motivated with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedules as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs.
- Proficient using Microsoft Windows/Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)..
- A valid driver’s license is required or the ability to obtain one.
- Ability to sit and operate a computer under normal ergonomic office conditions.
- Required to work in an outdoors environment during construction season.
- Required to lift objects or containers weighing 50-lbs.
Typical Tasks and Duties:
- Provide professional engineering services for clients by providing: planning, design, specifications, plans, reports, construction observation and project management.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with supervisors and project team members on a consistent basis by providing updates and progress during all phases of projects.
- Attend company meetings, project meetings and client meetings on a regular basis.
- This position will require a contributing role in preparing proposals and participating in interviews for securing work for the firm. Responsibilities for business development will increase with experience and mentoring by senior staff.
- This position will require the initiative to think independently and make rational judgment calls.
- Provide direction and work with engineering technicians and other team members on the development of project plans and specifications.
- Understand and follow company employee handbook and mandated safety policies.
- Perform responsibilities in a conscientious, legal and ethical manner with a strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Participate in professional organizations and community leadership programs.
- Travel and out of town stays may be required.
- Typical work week hours will vary between 40-50 hours per week. Expectations to work more than 50 hours may occur, but not on a regular basis.
Engineering Services Group: Facilities Transportation
Employment Type: Full Time - Salary