Huron Consulting Group Associate, Performance Improvement in Detroit, Michigan
Huron Business Advisory (HBA) enhances the enterprise value of leading private equity owned middle market portfolio companies and/or the levered portfolio companies of leading credit funds. Primary services include:
• Performance Improvement and Private Equity Value Creation
• Restructuring and Turnaround
• Other Financial Advisory Services (e.g., Investment Banking, Valuation, and Distressed Healthcare)
Performance Improvement professionals are focused on providing traditional operations improvement to dramatically improve EBITDA and cash flow to underperforming, leveraged, or healthy private equity owned middle market companies across the deal continuum of pre-acquisition due diligence, Day 1/first 100 Day Planning, post-acquisition integration, and portfolio value creation. Examples of operational competencies deployed on engagements are: carve outs and merger integrations, customer-product-volume-margin analysis, sales and operations planning, supply chain restructuring, distribution network optimization, and working capital reduction projects.
• Be a key member of a dynamic, growing Performance Improvement practice within a growing larger, Business Advisory organization
• All professionals will lead impactful, client facing operational improvement workstreams, and have routine and regular access to the client.
• Work on small, focused client service teams of three to five professionals where a Director, Senior Director, or Managing Director will lead key work streams of the larger client engagement; and will bear responsibility for managing the desired outcomes sponsored by executive client professionals (e.g., CEO, COO, CFO, VP of Operations). There will also be direct interaction with the private equity investment professionals, responsible for the performance of the portfolio company
• The work will be focused on dramatically increasing the profit and cash flow of healthy, underperforming, or distressed lower middle market and middle market private equity owned portfolio companies roughly from $100 million to $1 billion in revenue
• Opportunities also exist to grow to become an Interim COO or VP and Director of Operations for private equity owned portfolio companies
• Please be advised that the mix of client engagements will likely entail some work on corporate restructurings and turnarounds of distressed companies, which nearly stave off or enter bankruptcies as a strategic lever. This type of work may require the ability of the consultant to model liquidity and cash flow (e.g., direct 13 week cash flow model)
• Assistance authoring proposals and performing selected research and ad hoc analyses
• Structuring client problem solving approach using hypothesis driven analysis and the Minto Pyramid Principle; collecting, prepping and analyzing large data sets; performing quantitative operational and financial analyses of client data to formulate actionable, testable hypotheses on problem root causes and solutions
• Authoring client deliverables using standard management consulting styles; leading client workstreams and client personnel to drive corrective actions and desired business outcomes
• Build complex operational and financial models, which tie the impact of operational initiatives to EBITDA, cash flow, and often, three-statement financials
Perform all of the above based on operational acumen and an understanding of the operational value levers in the global extended value chain
• Travel will be up to 70%+ when engaged on a client project
• 2 to 5+ years of post-collegiate professional experience, with experience in a recognized business consulting firm and/or experience in a hands-on operations management role in a reputable industrial organization (e.g., Inventory Planner, Supply Chain Analyst). Required experience is an estimate and exact target level will depend upon each individual’s level of technical acumen, maturity, and leadership potential.
• Experience successfully implementing initiative-led, key operational competencies such as sales and operations planning, SKU margin enhancement and rationalization, network optimization, and manufacturing defect reduction
• Excellent critical thinking and analytical, problem solving skills using both quantitative and qualitative logic
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to facilitate client work stream meetings with mid-level and senior client professionals, with mastery of the basic consulting competency of influencing people one has no formal authority over
• Must understand the linkages among all three financial statements (P/L, B/S, C/F), and how operational improvement initiatives impact the balance sheet and cash flow statement
• Advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Must be an advanced, sophisticated user of Excel, skilled in building complex Excel operational and financial models
• Comfort working in, and embracement of high-pressure, high stakes client situations and demanding project team conditions, often defined by general urgency and rapid turnaround times of client deliverables
• Collaborative and extremely hands-on especially embracement of SKU-level data analysis
• Unrestricted permanent US work authorization
• BA / BS in an analytical subject such as general business, accounting, finance, economics, engineering is required
• MBA preferred
At Huron, we’re redefining what a consulting organization can be. We go beyond advice to deliver results that last. We inherit our client’s challenges as if they were our own. We help them transform for the future. We advocate. We make a difference. And we intelligently, passionately, relentlessly do great work…together.
Are you the kind of person who stands ready to jump in, roll up your sleeves and transform ideas into action? Then come discover Huron.
Whether you have years of experience or come right out of college, we invite you to explore our many opportunities. Find out how you can use your talents and develop your skills to make an impact immediately. Learn about how our culture and values provide you with the kind of environment that invites new ideas and innovation. Come see how we collaborate with each other in a culture of learning, coaching, diversity and inclusion. And hear about our unwavering commitment to make a difference in partnership with our clients, shareholders, communities and colleagues.
Huron Consulting Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage to employees and dependents; a 401(k) plan with a generous employer match; an employee stock purchase plan; a generous Paid Time Off policy; and paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Our Wellness Program supports employee total well-being by providing free annual health screenings and coaching, bank at work, and on-site workshops, as well as ongoing programs recognizing major events in the lives of our employees throughout the year. All benefits and programs are subject to applicable eligibility requirements.
Huron is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunity to job applicants and employees in recruitment, hiring, employment, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, training, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Huron will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, religion, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, creed, citizenship or any other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we do business. We endeavor to maintain a drug-free workplace. Huron will consider qualified applications with criminal history in accordance with applicable laws.
Category: Business Advisory Consulting
Opportunity Type: Experienced
Country: United States
Requisition ID: 7344