Corning Incorporated Project Management Engineer in Corning, New York
Project Management Engineer
- Please wait...
Date: Jun 10, 2021
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14831
Requisition Number: 47627
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
• Lead and manage Workplace Services (WPS) capital & expense construction projects.
• Interact with multiple departments and various levels of personnel to gather VOC, develop the PI sheet, and then the Scope of Work (SOW) for each project.
• Engage appropriate resources to then design, plan, and execute the project.
• Develop and manage project budgets and participate in forecasting and allocating funds.
• Influence long term thinking and planning when engaged in reviewing proposed facility changes or improvements.
• Include Facility Condition Assessment (FCA) results in this planning.
• Provide visible leadership to coordinate, schedule, and communicate project activities.
• Provide firm leadership to ensure a safe work environment and minimal process disruption to the customer’s during projects.
• Become familiar with process and facility systems, such as HVAC, Electric, Piping, etc., and engage and utilize system owners when needed along with existing processes (i.e.: change control process) to approve, validate, and document needed infrastructure changes.
• Become engaged in Capricorn Project Management process, lead Stage Gate projects, and support achieving division goals.
• Interact and participate in various WPS projects or events as needed.
• Travel will be required to support projects out of the downtown area (i.e. property closures, Hickory HQ, etc.).
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Direct contractors or maintenance personnel in the construction, installation, commissioning, testing, and troubleshooting of buildings and building infrastructure.
• Work closely with organizations such as Procurement, Safety, Health & Environmental, Facility Operations and Engineering, Media Services, WPS Support groups, Facility Trades, Warehousing, etc.
• Monitor the customer’s needs and requirements plus gather their Voice of the Customer to better define project scope.
• Provide estimates of cost.
• Provide alternatives or suggestions to minimize spend and maximize value.
• Provide equipment or process documentation as needed.
• Attend periodic department meetings and various management meetings to provide project updates.
• Provide engineering support, problem solving expertise, and corrective action support. Projects involved with:
• Project that increase space and infrastructure capacity or improve existing infrastructure or services.
• Projects required to enhance the appearance and perception of the Corning Incorporated non-manufacturing facilities (both inside and out).
• Office construction or modification projects.
• Projects to expand existing buildings, add new construction, renovate/renew existing buildings, or demolish existing buildings.
• Projects in support of Facility Condition Assessment (FCA).
Travel Requirements (please note if international):
• Primarily local travel between Corning Valley sites. However, there may be rare occasions for some domestic travel to support WPS managed facilities outside of the Corning valley. • No International Travel.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Typically, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Project work hours may be for extended periods of time and possibly include after hours, weekend and Holiday coverage as dictated by project schedule.
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration)
BS in Engineering
Minimum 3-5 years in a construction management or manufacturing plant in a Facility/Maintenance position.
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates MUST possess)
Proven ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders; mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach; resolve conflict; deliver tough messages with tact; execute with limited information and ambiguity.
Ability to communicate at all levels with clarity and precision both written and verbally.
Good analytical and problem-solving skills
Experience with Building Construction, working with Architectural and Engineering (A&E) firms, working with and directing contractors, from the bid process through project completion, ability to read and interpret Engineering designs and provide input and direction to construction personnel.
Project leadership experience, including writing scope of work, Appropriation Request’s, and tracking budgets.
Must be well organized and capable of handling multiple tasks and priorities.
Must be results oriented, self-starter, requiring minimal supervision.
Customer focused with good networking and Solid Influencing skills
Experience with Stakeholder Management.
Focused and versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure.
Proficient with Peoplesoft and Microsoft Office (ex: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Access, Microsoft Project)
Ability to work independently or in teams
Desired Skills (These are skills that would be nice for candidates to possess)
Experience with working with Corning Trades
Ability to learn quickly and understand new types of processes or needs, and then make the appropriate decisions with recommended actions
Familiarity with CMMS
Familiarity with AUTO-CAD and BIM
Familiarity with State and Local Building Codes
Familiarity with LEED, NYSERDA, and/or other energy sustainability resources
Certification in Capricorn Stage Gate Process 9. PMP certification
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning
- Please wait...