Sutter Health RN Oncology Nurse Navigator (Limited Term 26 Weeks) in California
The Oncology Nurse Navigator serves as the primary link between the medical oncologist, the oncology patient, and the services and clinicians who are coordinated in the context of a comprehensive treatment plan.
The Oncology Nurse Navigator provides care coordination services for every patient who enters treatment in the SMF oncology department.This role will include, but is not limited to:
Educate on disease specifics and treatment options.
Assessment and planning for comprehensive cancer service coordination.
Improve coordination of treatment and support.
Provide a link between the patient and the physician.
Facilitates access to support networks and psychosocial assistance.
Enable informed follow-up care and hospice care decisions.
Oversees clinical staff working in the medical office setting to enable them to support the plan of care.
Manages complex computer program to develop treatment plans in partnership with the oncologists.
Ensures that the electronic health record is used to optimize patient safety and communication.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
· Current California Nursing license required
· Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing preferred
· Oncology certification preferred.
· Two years of Oncology Nursing experience required.
· Knowledge of oncology nursing practice including, but not limited to, diagnosis, disease process, treatment options and associated complications, clinical trials, quality of life issues surrounding cancer and various therapies.
· Knowledge of and willingness to learn clinical information systems including Epic.
· Commitment to the use and adoption of patient safety and quality processes within the oncology setting.
· Knowledgeable in adult teaching methodology is required.
· Direct patient care or health education in an inpatient, outpatient, ambulatory or home health setting.
· Prior hematology, oncology, or radiation oncology clinical nursing in either inpatient or ambulatory setting required.
· Experience working with a variety of agencies/contacts within and outside the workplace preferred.
· Ability to build effective working relationships.
· Project or program development and management experience preferred.
· Special Skills/Equipment
· Strong clinical assessment and critical thinking skills necessary to provide navigation/triage services appropriate to clients with complex medical, emotional and social needs in order to meet the health care needs of individuals with complex medical, emotional, and or social needs, promoting quality and cost effective outcomes.
· Ability to interact effectively with key internal and external constituents using collaboration, conflict resolution, negotiation and analytical problem resolution skills.
· Demonstrated ability to implement new programs, process improvement, quality processes and techniques.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Effective patient teaching skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and time management skills, ability to work effectively in a fast pace environment, with rapidly shifting priorities and competing demands.
· Ability to work well independently and with minimum direction. Ability to exercise discretion and make independent judgements, seeking review when decisions represent significant departure from established guidelines.
· Possesses patient advocacy skills; ability to speak on behalf of the patient, while maintaining objectiveness throughout the navigation process. Acts as liaison between client, providers, payers, and family.
· Ability to provide assigned standby coverage, flex hours to handle urgent situations, and attend evening meetings as needed.
· PC skills, word processing, spreadsheets and data base programs in addition to gaining proficiency in the use of the SMF electronic health record and or applicable treatment planning software..
Organization: Sutter Medical Foundation - Central
Employee Status: Limited Term
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 1.0
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.