Regional Municipality of Peel Supervisor, GIS Data in Brampton, Ontario
Supervisor, GIS Data
Public Works – Operations Support
Are you a strong leader who wants to motivate, coach and develop a team of Public Works’ Geographic Information System professionals?
Do you have extensive knowledge and working experience in GIS, specifically related to the support and maintenance of GIS infrastructure data in Public Works (PW) ?
Do you have a passion for high quality data that is integral to Public Works’ services ?
Do you bring strong skills in customer service, communication and have the ability to work within a fast-paced work environment?
This may be the opportunity for you…
The Supervisor, GIS Data is responsible for the day to day operational activities of staff who create, maintain and analyze Public Works’ GIS infrastructure information.
What you will do:
• Supervise a staff of GIS professionals responsible for the creation and daily maintenance of Public Works Infrastructure focused GIS asset data
• Responsible for appropriate business intelligence activities for analyzing and reporting out Public Works infrastructure asset data to support business needs across Public Works and the Region as a whole
• Support the PW GIS Program with resources to deliver initiatives that improve GIS application and data capabilities to Public Works
• Ensure budgets are developed and tracked in accordance with the Region’s processes and timelines
• Provides specifications for the preparation of tenders/ purchase requisitions for contracted services that involve the collection, acquisition or inclusion of asset related records.
• Provides technical or professional advice and guidance with respect to coordinating the logistic or operational elements of projects, programs or events that support the Section’s mandate
• Prepares and delivers various communication tactics including council reports, project updates, councilor notifications and responses to inquiries for matters related to asset information
• Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Section and/or Division
• Interpret and evaluate information to improve existing programs or to develop new approaches or processes to better utilize GIS information and technology
What we require:
• Successful completion of University Degree in Geomatics/Geospatial Science (GIS), Engineering, Information Technology, Environmental Science or related field with 7 years of GIS data experience
• Superior knowledge of Geographic Information Systems including the analysis, design, execution and governance of geospatial environments.
• Superior knowledge of the effective and efficient use of geospatial software applications such as Intergraph’s GeoMedia Professional, Bentley’s MicroStation, Infor’s Hansen, ESRI GIS and Microsoft’s Access and Excel software.
• In depth experience with Peel’s GIS systems and data, specifically with Public Work’s GIS infrastructure maintenance processes.
• Minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in supervising direct reports or alternatively, leading PW GIS initiatives or work packages involving other resources
• GIS Certification and/ or equivalent experience years in working with engineering asset GIS information preferred.
• Project Management Certification (PMP) and Business Analysis Certifications (ECBA, CCBA, CBAP) an asset
• Familiarity with acts and guidelines related to managing staff and information in a Public Works environment including the OH&S Act, Provincial Offences Act, MOE/MOL/MTO/Clean Water Act guidelines, Regional Policies and Procedures (HR & Purchasing) , Collective Bargaining Agreement would be an asset
• Experienced in the Solutions Development LifeCycle (IT-SDLC) and other IT processes (ITIL, COBIT, Agile) to ensure teams appropriately build and support robust GIS solutions with our internal and external IT partners
• Excellent leadership skills to build teamwork and motivate a diverse group of employees
• Demonstrated strong decision-making abilities using accepted professional standards or government guidelines
• Strong financial skills to prepare and administer annual operating budgets
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with a diverse audience including internal staff, management and the public
• Strong customer service skills with the ability to resolve complaints, conflicts and inquiries from politicians
• Excellent analytical and interpretation skills • Ability to think and act independently with minimal supervision
• Deadline oriented with the ability to work well under pressure • Demonstrates professionalism, tact, diplomacy and political awareness
Location: 2 Copper Road, Brampton ON along with the ability to work remotely, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are committed to supporting community recovery from COVID-19. This plan will follow a phased approach that is guided by Public Health and Ontario's Framework for reopening. Get details
Hours: 35 Hours per week; Monday-Friday
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply on-line.
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced Covid-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
New employees who commence employment on or after October 1, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated is determined as the status of having received the full series of approved vaccines (both doses of a two dose vaccine series, one dose of a single dose vaccine series) and any additional doses required and approved by Health Canada and having satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The Region of Peel reserves the right to request proof of vaccination at any time. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.
The Region of Peel serves more than 1.4 million residents and approximately 173,000 businesses in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga. We deliver a wide range of resident focused services across the Region.
Our 20-year vision for Peel is “Community for Life.” Our goal is to create a place where everyone enjoys a sense of belonging and has access to the services and opportunities needed to thrive in each stage of their lives. Our 2015-2035 Strategic Plan outlines the work we're focused on to bring this vision to life.
To learn more about the Region of Peel, explore peelregion.ca.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone’s contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Please be advised, the Region of Peel uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the position and your application will be removed from the competition.
System ID: 2021-11158
Position Type and Status: Regular Full-time
Job Industry (Choose up to 3 industries) (EN): Environmental, Government and Public Sector, Information and Technology
Post End Date: 12/5/2021 11:59 PM
External Company Name: Regional Municipality of Peel