Novartis Pharmaceuticals Senior EP Patent Attorney in Basel, Switzerland
As the Senior EP Patent Attorney, you will perform, manage, direct and leverage designated patent and related intellectual property (IP) activities within the research and development (R&D) organizations of Novartis.
The role encompasses IP advice and management of platform technologies used in the development and manufacturing of bio-molecules and cell & gene therapies. In addition, providing IP support for R&D projects spanning from early stage research, into development and through to commercialization will also be part of the role.
In this role your remit will be:
• Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to Novartis R&D clients on opportunities to protect their inventions, create IP portfolios, advise on publication strategies and mitigate third party risks.
• Build and manage core and more complex patent portfolios for Novartis R&D projects by identifying inventions, developing holistic patent and related strategies as well as preparing, prosecuting, maintaining and defending patent filings for multiple products, especially in technical areas related to biological targets, new biologic entities, platforms and technologies, as well as clinical developments.
• Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom-to-operate, and formulate patent strategies for Novartis R&D clients that secure IP positions, freedom-to-operate, and enable IP defense(s). Advise and strategically partner with business including with leaders, with respect to patent and related activities.
• Apply deep expertise in national patent law and practice, including patent trends and case law developments, to devise patent strategies and advice.
• Understand other forms of protection relating to exclusivity, and make strategic use of such knowledge, to work both cross-functionally and cross-divisionally.
• Maximize effective communication with colleagues and leadership in the legal and IP function, as well as the R&D organization, and with key business partners.
• Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators, including substantial interactions within a multicultural global patent function.
• Conduct complex due diligence assessments and counsel based on these assessments, including freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation.
• Provide IP support for transactional projects, such as research collaborations and in- and out-licensing opportunities, including advice on contract drafting and negotiation.
• Perform timely review of publication requests.
• Deliver a high standard of work product on-time, on-target and within-budget.
• Continue professional development and contribute to development of IP colleagues.
• Contribute to development of operational and strategic objectives within R&D IP and cross divisionally.
Senior EP Patent Attorney
What you'll bring to the role:
• Qualified European patent attorney
• Bachelor degree in biology or equivalent; MSc/ PhD, or equivalent, in biology or biochemistry is preferred
• 5+ years’ experience as a qualified patent attorney in a law firm or in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
• Strong scientific background in biological sciences; preferably including direct lab experience
• Expertise in EPC, PCT and local European laws, filing process and prosecution practice; detailed understanding of counterpart US patent law and other major global patent systems; experience of post-grant review proceedings.
• Strong customer-service experience & focus to build and sustain effective partnerships with key stakeholders and project teams
• Experience integrating global outlook and management of product lifecycle into decision-making process
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/networ
Legal & Intellectual Property & Compliance
CAO - NIBR
Novartis Pharma AG