Texas Health Resources Medical Lab Scientist PRN in Arlington, Texas
Medical Laboratory Scientist PRN
We’re looking for a qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist’s to join our Texas Health family.
Work location: Texas Health Resources: Float throughout DFW Metroplex to a minimum of 3 Texas Health Resources entity hospitals.
Work environment: Central Staffing Office
Work hours: PRN (As Needed) Rotating Shift with some weekend and holidays.
Salary rate: $27.69-42.15 per hour (based upon experience)
Texas Health Resources is one of the largest faith-based, nonprofit health care delivery systems in the United States and the largest in North Texas in terms of patients served.
Texas Health has 25 acute-care and short-stay hospitals that are owned, operated, joint-ventured or affiliated with the system. It has more than 3,800 licensed beds, more than 21,100 employees of fully owned/operated facilities plus 1,400 employees of consolidated joint ventures and counts more than 5,500 physicians with active staff privileges at its hospitals.
At Texas Health, we strive to create an atmosphere of respect, integrity, compassion, and excellence for all who come in contact with us, be they patients or our employees. We are committed to diversity in our workforce, and our mission to serve spreads across ethnic, cultural, economic, and generational boundaries. We invite you to join us in furthering your career through our accomplishments and philosophy of excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Medical Technology, Applied Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological Science preferred.Individuals hired as a CLS II prior to January 3, 2010 will be grandfathered to the MLS position with existing education. Required.
1 year experience within the last three years (excluding internship/orientation) required and
Internship in an approved Medical Technology training program required.
2 years’ experience in a Medical Laboratory preferred
Licenses and Certifications
MT(ASCP) - Medical Technologist (90 days) required or
MLS(ASCP) - Medical Lab Scientist (90 days) required or
Other: AMT, AAB, HHS, NCA, HEW, CLS- CA, FL, NY state license, Philippine Board of Technical Technology (upon hire) required or
M(ASCP)-Microbiology: If working in Microbiology (upon hire) or If working in Blood Bank (upon hire) required.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong positive interpersonal skills.Ability to read, write and speak English clearly.Problem solving ability, time management skills. Possess organizational skills to function successfully in a fast-paced work environment.Computer literate.
• Specimen integrity is recognized by evaluating and solving problems related to collection and/or processing of specimens
• Specimen conditions are identified that adversely affect test results
• Maintains specimen integrity throughout the testing process
• Facilitates workflow process
• Checks outstanding tests list in a timely manner
• Troubleshoots and follows through on outstanding tests which appear to have not been collected/received when expected
• Knows and uses computer downtime procedures as needed when computer is not available
• Gives proper notification when supplies need to be ordered
• Utilizes time between testing to accomplish other needed tasks. (evaluation of kits, preparing controls, supply management, housekeeping duties, etc.)
• Performs tasks in a manner that enhances the quality of care
• Helps other hospital and laboratory coworkers to provide timely patient care
• Demonstrates active cost effectiveness
• Participates in orientation and training of students, volunteers, new employees and observers
• May be responsible for ongoing competency assessment for employees
• Maintains commitment to profession by attending continuing education sessions (ex. Web seminars, ASCP seminars, Tarleton and Lab sponsored seminars by industry)
• Completes mandatory hospital/laboratory education and departmental competencies within required time frame
• Mandatory health requirements are completed with required time frame
• Completes assigned work within required time and offers assistance to other coworkers
• Uses laboratory equipment (computer, instruments, etc.) for hospital use only
• Time and attendance is satisfactory
• Employee exhibits a professional appearance
• Seeks assistance/supervision/consultation as needed and reports to supervisor any problems and/or solution regarding delivery of patient care
• Interacts professionally and pleasantly with all encountered and promotes customer satisfaction
• Adhere to the THR Promise Behaviors
• Follows established laboratory test procedures, including using proper computer protocol
• Evaluates and reports test results
• Communicates and documents relevant patient data to appropriate personnel
• Relays information to next shift and coworkers (ex. instrument malfunctions, unusual patient results, testing problems)
• Gives direction and guidance to technical staff and laboratory support personnel
• Demonstrates understanding of quality control guidelines
• Follows Laboratory policies when quality control is not within established limits
• Resolves quality control discrepancies before releasing/reporting patient results
• Documents and review QC and ensure corrective action when appropriate
• Performs and documents laboratory equipment maintenance protocols within established time limits
• Demonstrates knowledge to troubleshoot equipment
• Follow laboratory protocol for proficiency testing
• Incorporates safety/infection control measures into work practices
• Follows HIPAA guidelines
• Demonstrates knowledge of and follows all hospital and Lab safety/infection control policies and procedures
• Participates in required hospital/laboratory safety drills
• Utilizes the event reporting tool to document and report patient situations, on-the–job injuries, and medical device malfunctioning
Why Texas Why Texas Health
At Texas Health, our people make this a great place to work every day. Our inclusive, supportive, excellence-driven culture make it a place you’ll love to call home.
Here are a few of our recent awards:
2021 FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For®” (7th year in a row)
Becker's Healthcare "150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" (4 years running)
“America’s Best Employers for Diversity” list by Forbes
A “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials" by Fortune and Great Place to Work®
Explore our Texas Health careers site for info like Benefits , Job Listings by Category , recent Awards we’ve won and more.
Do you still have questions or concerns? Feel free to email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment opportunities are only reflective of wholly owned Texas Health Resources entities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employees or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.