Northrop Grumman Staff Systems Architect in Annapolis, Maryland
The Systems Engineering department in the Northrop Grumman Undersea Systems business unit in Annapolis, MD is seeking dependable individuals who are interested in expanding their horizons. Successful candidates will work in a multi-discipline, collaborative environment to support complex, dynamic maritime programs of great importance to our Nation.
We're particularly interested in candidates with experience in any of the signal processing areas listed below. If you have experience in any of these, especially as applied to SONAR, please apply!
• Transmit waveform design, transmit/receive timing, signal acquisition/sampling, digital-to-analog (D/A) and analog-to-digital (A/D) conversion, filtering, transmission channel phenomena (e.g. transmission losses, backscatter, waveguides) array processing, time-varying gain (TVG), cross-correlation/matched filtering, motion estimation / compensation, beamforming, synthetic-aperture sonar (SAS), interferometry, image processing
• Advanced processing such as bi-static and multi-static SONAR scenarios, change detection, and FPGA-based architectures
• Position, navigation and timing (PNT), target detection/tracking, guidance, navigation and control (GNC, to include Kalman filtering and GPS-denied navigation, INS/IMU systems), autonomous systems
You will be applying your signal processing expertise in the Systems Engineering lifecycle paradigm. As such, experience with any of the following areas is a plus:
• Development/management of requirements, architecture/interfaces, and concept of operations (CONOPS)
• Model-based engineering /model-based systems engineering (MBE/MBSE) to include physics-based, descriptive, parametric, and behavior modeling
• Algorithm development and implementation in software/hardware
• Detailed design, deployment, integration, test, verification and validation
As we work closely with Navy customers, experience with underwater/naval systems such as towed vehicles, Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV), Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs), SONAR/sensor systems, underwater mechanical structures and cabling, submarine payloads, torpedoes, etc., is desired. Experience in Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), Seabed and Subsea Warfare (SSW), and Navy tactics would also align with our business unit.
All job functions require close teamwork across technical disciplines and Integrated Product Teams (IPTs. Our diverse and passionate engineering team is mission-focused while also committed to personal development. We are distinguished by our welcoming, dependable workplace culture that supports work-life balance, innovation, and STEM outreach. All of which have made Undersea Systems a great place to work for more than 50 years.
Basic Qualifications for a Staff level:
•Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) field and 14+ years' of experience; 12+ years' of experience with Master's Degree, or 9+ years of experience with a PhD.
•Experience in any of the Signal Processing areas listed above
•Experience in any of the following Systems Engineering areas listed above
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
•Willing to learn additional discipline areas.
•Must have and be able to maintain an active or current DoD Secret Clearance.
•Designs and develops system architectures, and defines key capabilities and performance requirements.
•Advanced degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics.
•Experience in signal processing as applied to SONAR, preferably imaging sonar.
•Experience with target detection/tracking.
•Experience with autonomous systems and/or machine learning and artificial intelligence (ML/AI).
•Experience in CONOPS related to the use of SONAR systems, especially onboard UUVs.
•Experience in undersea Position, Navigation, and Timing (PNT), acoustic systems, imaging sonar techniques and technologies.
•Experience with structured/scripting programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, C++, Python) and debugging.
•Experience with FPGA-based architectures.
•Experience with configuration management / version control using Git, SVN, or other tools.
•Experience with requirements developments and management software (e.g. DOORS)
•Experience preparing work products associated with the system engineering lifecycle milestones (e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR)
•Experience in Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), Anti-Surface Warfare (ASUW), Mine-Warfare (MIW), and/or other Naval Warfare Domains.
•Industry/company recognition and awards, attendance and participation in industry/engineering conferences and symposiums, and/or patents/disclosures/publications.
•Demonstrated leadership capabilities to include mentorship and working/interfacing with customers.
•Active or current DoD Top Secret with SSBI/SCI, poly preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering