Ukpeagvik Iñupiat Corporation/Bowhead Family of Companies Senior Engineer in Anchorage, Alaska
Tracking Code Umiaq Design, LLC
Job Code 21-0161
Posting Title Senior Engineer
Post Date 2/4/2021
Full Time / Part-Time Full Time
Travel Up to 25%
The Senior Civil Engineer will work for UMIAQ Design as an engineer with duties in planning, design, and construction administration for various projects throughout Alaska.
• Prepare project planning documents.
• Design water & wastewater distribution, collection and treatment systems and/or civil improvements including site development plans (site layout, traffic circulation, and grading).
• Perform client interaction and client management.
• Manage support staff.
• Manage design sub consultants.
• Develop design and construction cost estimates.
• Attend and participate in public meetings.
• Write permitting applications.
• Perform construction administration of projects, including conducting inspections at project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design drawings and specifications.
Requirements Knowledge and Critical Skill/Expertise:
• Excellent communications skills, oral and written.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Be able to handle stress and work in high pressure environments or under difficult conditions.
• Requires a working knowledge of engineering and construction-related processes. Familiarity with other PC software packages typically associated with engineering and construction.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, as well as with customers and vendors.
• Detail oriented with the ability to efficiently analyze and organize significant amounts of information.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• Ability to read and interpret drawings and specifications.
• Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in fast paced environment.
• Must have excellent PC skills in MS Word, Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint, and have familiarity with AutoCAD.
• At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, with Professional Registration in the State of Alaska in the Civil Engineering discipline.
• Minimum of 10 years of work in design engineering of civil and environmental projects, with experience desired in water/sewer projects, landfills, civil site work, roads, and fuel tank farms.
• Project Management knowledge of bidding process and construction administration.
• Work is performed primarily in an office setting, however, travel and field work will occasionally be required. Candidate must be able to stand for extended periods of time, sit, walk, climb stairs, talk, hear, and write. Must be able to use limbs and body members with a good range of motion and be capable of using common road vehicles and off-road vehicles such as snow machines and four-wheelers.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift up to 25 lbs., walk for over a mile, sit for several hours (travel on small planes), and stand. Employee may be required to working outside at extreme cold temperatures found on North Slope (-35 F, or colder), and subject to loud construction noises present on construction sites. Employee will primarily work in office setting, however, travel to and work at remote locations and construction sites will be required on occasion. Work away from the office may be in locations where heavy equipment, aircraft and marine vessels are operated.
• Operation of motor vehicles
• Driving, riding ATV/UTV
• Walking and Standing
• Twisting, turning upper body, arms, and legs
• Crawling, kneeling, stooping
• Safe distant vision
• Good near vision
• Wear ANSI approved safety footwear
• Wear safety glasses
• Wear hard hat
• Occasionally lifting/carrying up to 25 lbs.
• Outside work
• Excessive cold < 0 degrees F
• Exposure to dust, fumes, smoke or gases
• Walking on slippery, uneven surfaces
• Working on or around hazardous machinery
• Ladders, scaffolding, towers, surfaces 4’ to 12’ above ground
• Cramped or confined spaces
• Working alone
• Remote work sites (no dispensary or hospital)
• Long and/or irregular hours
Authorized Driver Requirement
• Employee must possess a valid driver license and pass Smith Driver Training within one year of hire.
• Individuals with one or more serious violations (DUI/DWI) shall not be authorized to drive vehicles, including company, personal or rental cars to conduct company business.
• Employee must follow the UIC Authorized Driver Policy and Procedures regarding approved vehicle usage.
Drug and Alcohol Testing Programs
• All employees must pass Non-DOT pre-employment drug screening and follow all UMIAQ Non-DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Program guidelines and requirements.
• If working on a DOT project, employees must pass a DOT pre-employment drug screening and follow all DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Program requirements.
UMIAQ Design, LLC considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, family responsibility, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran's status or any other legal protected status. Pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UICCS, as a subsidiary of Ukpeaġvik Inupiat Corporation, may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit an application for all positions for which they wish to be considered.
UIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC HR for assistance.
UIC and its Family of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) .
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)