UPMC Registered Nurse - Medical ICU in Altoona, Pennsylvania
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you’re a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
• $10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
• $5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details!
.7 flexible full time, day/night rotation
Union position: SEIU
UPMC Altoona is hiring a Registered Nurse to help support the Medical ICU! This is a flexible full time position which comes with our robust and competitive Total Rewards benefits package!
Medical Intensive Care Unit is a 14-bed unit that serves the adult population requiring a high level of critical care services. The Medical ICU allows the nurse to function in an ICU as well as collaborating with our Intensive Care Team to serve the critically ill patients. We are the unit of choice for Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps (IABP), Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT), Catheter Assisted Thrombosis (EKOS), and specialize in the treatment of therapeutic hypothermia after a cardiac arrest.
What makes Medical ICU a special place to work? The amazing team of nurses, physicians, and respiratory therapists working closely to provide exceptional care to patients in our community!
As a member of this team you will provide direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process, provide leadership for the nursing team, and contribute to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.
• Adheres to universal precautions.
• Identifies potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
• Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
• Assessment: Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
• Completes annual competency validation activities.
• Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
• Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
• Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
• Evaluation: Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient. Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals. Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
• Implementation: Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy. Performs technical skills safely and accurately and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
• Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
• Planning: Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
• Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
• Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately.
• Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
• Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Departments orientation program and probationary period.
• Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
• Experience Required: None
• When assigned to ICU must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire.
• Must maintain eight stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
• Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly
• ACLS preferred, BLS required, PALS for specific units
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
Registered Nurse (RN)
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran REQNUMBER: 278554383