Albemarle County Physical Education Teacher - Burley Middle - 2020-21 School Year in Albermale, Virginia
Physical Education Teacher
*Burley Middle *
2020-21 School Year
Are You Ready To Unleash Each Student's Potential?
In Albemarle County Public Schools, our mission every day is to establish a community of learners and learning, through relationships, relevance and rigor, one student at a time. We work to ensure that all learners believe in their power to embrace learning, to excel, and to own their future.
Albemarle County Public Schools is committed to providing all students the opportunity to learn from talented, diverse teachers who represent the varied cultures and experiences of our community. We seek to hire educators who demonstrate the ability to work with culturally diverse students, and who see themselves as lifelong learners – always willing to learn new things to best meet the ever-changing needs of our students.
Is that you?
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Teachers are essential to our mission “to establish a community of learners and learning, through relationships, relevance and rigor, one student at a time”. Our teachers work collaboratively with students, families, colleagues and administrators to ensure each student graduates having actively mastered the lifelong-learning skills they need to succeed as 21st century learners, workers, and citizens. Daily work with all stakeholders aligns with the vision, mission, values, goals and priorities of Albemarle County Public schools.
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following actions:
Knowledge of Students
- Builds strong relationships with students as a means of understanding their academic, developmental, and social-emotional needs;
- Applies current knowledge of child development, cultural competency and family partnerships in daily practice;
- Provides learning opportunities that support student learning styles and intellectual, social, and personal development through the understanding and implementation of culturally responsive teaching practices;
- Demonstrates a knowledge and understanding of child growth and development and is able to apply this in the design of learning;
- Knows students well enough to understand how their social-emotional needs impact their learning profile;
- Develops positive student relationships through intentional practices to support social and emotional learning;
Knowledge of Content and Planning
- Develops and implements year-long plans for instruction that reflect state standards, division curriculum, and essential understandings;
- Demonstrates a continued willingness to learn and apply new skills based on current research and best practices;
- Effectively articulates the central concepts and understandings of a discipline and communicates content knowledge and processes used by adults working in the discipline as part of teaching to planned objectives daily;
- Uses appropriate instructional strategies to promote student learning;
- Provides differentiated instruction that is centered on increasing student engagement, relevance of content and rigor, and student choice/voice;
- Delivers instruction through varied methods that:
- Aligns with the adopted curriculum
- Uses of a variety of best practice instructional strategies;
- Uses knowledge of child growth and development for student success
- Differentiates instruction in response to student differences, eliminating gaps in achievement;
- Uses comprehensive materials, technology, and resources to promote the development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills;
- Provides learning opportunities that support student learning styles and intellectual, social, and personal development;
Safe and Effective Learning Environment
- Builds and facilitates a sense of community in the classroom;
- Creates structures for students that fosters a climate conducive to learning, maximizing learning time, and integrating classroom procedures that always help maintain a safe environment for students ;
- Creates an atmosphere of mutual respect and caring that encourages social interaction, active engagement, and self-motivation;
- Sets standards for classroom behavior and follows through consistently;
- Creates a classroom environment that is culturally responsive to student needs;
Communication and Collaboration
- Fosters the success of all students by communicating and collaborating effectively with colleagues, families, and community members;
- Actively participates in school and Division meetings, to include but not limited to: faculty and department meetings, PLC meetings, school and Division professional learning opportunities;
- Forges partnerships with students and families to support learning. Communicates frequently and through various means with families to facilitate a partnership in learning for their child;
- Actively participates in Professional Learning Communities in order to collaborate with other members of the school community to make data informed decision to promote student success for all;
- Abides by school and Division policies and procedures;
- Establishes and maintains cooperative professional relations with others;
- Models professionalism and ethical standards, as well as personal integrity, in all interactions, participates in meaningful and continuous professional growth including self-evaluation, and contributes to the school community;
- Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules and administrative regulations;
- Maintains records as required by law, system policy, and administrative regulations;
- Performs related duties as assigned by the administration in accordance with the school/system policies and practices;
Assessment of Learning/ Student Academic Progress
- The work of the teacher results in acceptable, measurable, and appropriate student academic progress;
- Sets high standards for student work and assesses achievement and monitors learning in the classroom, adjusting instruction accordingly;
- Provides students multiple methods for demonstrating understanding of concepts and mastery, including the use of performance assessments;
- Uses formative assessment results to guide instructional decisions and learning opportunities for students;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Current understanding of culturally responsive teaching practices
- Strong communication skills with colleagues and families using a variety of methods.
- Effectively uses technology to support instruction.
- Understanding of current best-practices related to social-emotional learning.
- Uses and asset-based mindset when working with students
- Sees themselves as a lifelong learner, consistently seeking new and innovative ways to help meet student needs.
- Uses problem solving strategies in all aspects of the work.
- Possesses a growth mindset and is open to new and innovative practices.
*EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:*
Candidates must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching certificate with endorsement in Health & Physical Education. Spanish speaking and writing skills preferred.
*PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS:*
Duties performed typically in school settings to include: classroom; gym, cafeteria; auditorium; and recreational areas. Frequent walking, standing, light lifting to 40 pounds, and other limited physical activities are required. Occasional travel with students on field trips may be necessary. Occasional movement of students by wheelchairs and other mechanical devices may be required. Regular instruction differentiated for students with various learning needs (special education, English Language Learners, Gifted) is expected. Daily personal and close contact with children to provide classroom management and learning environment support is required. Regular contact with other staff members, and families is required. Occasional contact with medical professionals may be required. Frequent contact with families by phone and in person is necessary.
Performance will be evaluated on the ability and effectiveness in carrying out the above responsibilities through the Albemarle County Public Schools Teacher Performance Appraisal.
Primary Location: Burley Middle School
Salary Range: Teacher Scale, depending on experience and qualifications
Shift Type: Full-Time