Albemarle County Library Media/Office Assistant - Burley Middle - 2020-21 School Year Only in Albermale, Virginia
Library Media/Office Assistant
2020-21 School Year Only
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Assists Library Media Specialist to ensure that the library media program is a fully integrated part of the instructional program of the school. Performs complex clerical and routine administrative and technical work in a library setting. May also assisnt in the front office and/or serve as a substitute teacher when needed.
- Works under guidance and supervison of the professional staff and provides services which allow the library media specialist to work directly and closely with students and faculty in the school;
- Performs clerical and technical duties involved with the acquistion and technical processing of materials and equipment;
- Assists in the implementation of the organization and circulation of materials and equipment;
- Assists users in the use of information, materials and equipment;
- Supervises and assists students using the library media center;
- Assists users with minor equipment problems (to include computer, printer and xerox problems);
- Directs users to library media specialist for help when additional information is necessary;
- Reshelves materials and helps train and supervise volunteers performing this task;
- Places orders for and distributes materials from the division media center;
- Performs duties such as keyboarding, filing, minor book repair, copying, etc.;
- Assists in developing and maintaining an inviting and organized environment in which to learn;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the library media specialist and/or principal.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to establish and maintain positive working relations with school community; general knowledge of library media program activities; ability to keyboard accurately and efficiently; general knowledge of business English and spelling, knowledge of arithmetic, particularly decimals; ability to accurately file and shelve books according to the Dewey decimal system; ability to learn a wide variety of software programs and the ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:_**
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, including basic keyboard and filing training. Basic office computer skills.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS:_**
Duties performed typically in school settings. Frequent walking, standing, light lifting up to 40 pounds, and other mechanical devices may be required. Occasional lifting of equipment such as audio-visuals weighing up to 50 pounds may be required. Daily personal and close contact with children to provide classroom management and learning environment support is required. Regular contact with other staff members, parents and medical professionals may be required. Contacts with community and division-level staff may require considerable tact and diplomacy.
Performance will be evaluated on the ability and effectiveness in carrying out the above responsibilities.
Primary Location: Human Resources
Salary Range: $11.60 - $13.92 / Per Hour, depending on education, experience and internal equity
Shift Type: Full-Time