Albemarle County Accountant III in Albermale, Virginia
Department of Finance and Budget
Full-Time, 12 months
Non-Exempt, Pay Grade 15
Join the Albemarle County Team:
Albemarle County is one of the most desirable locations in Virginia and the nation, with an excellent school system, low taxes, low crime and unemployment rates, a skilled and educated workforce, and a wealth of cultural, historical, and recreational amenities in a beautiful setting.
Albemarle County Local Government and Schools is the second largest employer in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area. It’s our mission to enhance the well-being and quality of life for all citizens through the provision of the highest level of public service consistent with the prudent use of public funds.
We deliver this in a diverse locality, with rural, suburban and urban characteristics. The *Albemarle County Core Values *are the foundation for all we do.
- Integrity: We value our customers and co-workers by always providing honest and fair treatment.
- Innovation: We embrace creativity and positive change. Learn about this from the People of Albemarle. Have you heard about our partnership for an autonomous shuttle in Crozet?
- Stewardship: We honor our role as stewards of the public trust by managing our natural, human and financial resources respectfully and responsibly.
- Learning: We encourage and support lifelong learning and personal and professional growth. We support our team through internal and external training opportunity. Check out our free in-house training opportunities.
- Community: We expect diversity, equity and inclusion to be integrated into how we live our mission. See how we’re living out this value in the Office of Equity and Inclusion 2020 Annual Report.
We take care of our team, offering employees BE WELL Albemarle support to provide opportunities to understand and follow an active lifestyle that promotes a culture of good health and wellness. Did someone say discounted gym membership, please?
We take care of the environment, with a department dedicated to programs supporting Pollution Prevention (P2), Energy Conservation and other environmental initiatives.
The Accountant III
The Albemarle County Department of Finance and Budgetis actively recruiting an Accountant III to join our team. The successful Accountant III will perform complex professional accounting work in the review, maintenance, and preparation of accounting and financial records. Plans, directs, and supervises the operational activities of the accounting staff. Work is performed under limited supervision and with a high degree of independence.
Essential functions and responsibilities of Accountant IIIinclude, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares, analyzes, and reviews accounting transactions including journal entries required for monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports;
- Manages the cash, bank, investment, and P-card accounts of the County under the direction of the Chief Accountant;
- Reconciles above accounts on daily, monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis as required;
- Responsible for the maintenance of the accounting systems and provides recommendations for assigned areas of responsibility;
- Provides technical support to external auditors and prepares required reports;
- Reviews current accounting procedures and recommends needed/continuous process improvements;
- Researches and provides financial data on request, works as a liaison to other agencies/departments to provide information and resolve accounting issues;
- Initiates monthly, quarterly, and annual closing accounting transactions;
- Prepares documentation for monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to State and Federal Agencies;
- Maintains the internal service funds accounting, including accounting for and distributing charges to user departments;
- Initiates electronic fund transfers or serves as back up approver for transfers;
- Schedules and coordinates monthly financial transaction processing and periodic financial reporting;
- Ensures check files are downloaded, reviewed, approved, and properly maintained;
- Performs internal auditing as needed or requested;
- Leads, trains, and assists Accountants and Account Clerks, providing supervision of staff as necessary;
Performs related tasks as required.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of five years of experience involving the maintenance of complex accounting, financial, or statistical records required. Demonstrated technical/information system competence is preferred. Supervisory experience is desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, governmental accounting standards, banking, and financial reporting. Knowledge of the laws, ordinances and regulations governing municipal financial matters, including Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts standards is required. Thorough knowledge of and proficient use of MSOffice Suite, including Excel. Ability to prepare complex financial reports and accounting records. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
THE PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS
Regular contacts made with individuals from: (a) other internal organizations units; or (b) outside organizations; or (c) frequent contact with the general public for purposes of exchanging factual information which may require some judgement or interpretation in order to be responsive to questions or applicable to a specific situation. Communication is usually cooperative in nature, with infrequent conflicts resolved by higher authority. Conducts work in a sitting position; however, job requires frequent standing, walking, bending, stooping and light lifting. Requires frequent operation of a variety of office machines.
THE SALARY RANGE
The salary range for this position is $21.86 - $26.24 per hour, $45,474 - $54,569 annual equivalent. Starting offer is based on applicable education beyond minimum, experience and internal equity. The position also provides excellent benefits including 12 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, VRS retirement, and continuing education/training opportunities. This is a full time, FLSA non-exempt position. Internal candidates will receive pay adjustments in accordance with Local Government Personnel Policy, §P-60.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Position open until Monday, March 8, 2021, 5:00 p.m. EST
PROCESS:For consideration please apply at https://albemarleva.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
Albemarle County is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any group or individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability in regards to any aspect of employment policy and practice: recruitment, testing, selection, assignment, pay, conditions of work, training, leave, overtime, promotion, discipline, demotion, and separation.
Primary Location: Finance
Salary Range: $21.86 - $26.24 / Per Hour, depending on education, experience and internal equity
Shift Type: Full-Time
Name: Lindsay Huff
Title: Chief Accountant
Phone: 296-5853, ext 5818